Acrylic Nails: 1. Jaida: 0

As promised this week, I recorded myself learning a new song. I learned ‘What A Wonderful World’ this week. I got acrylic nails today and went to go play the ukulele and realized that it was much harder with nails than without. I went over practicing the song multiple times today and this was the best I could do.

This week I decided to try out the app Chordify. This app starts by making a free account, then you get to choose what instrument you are playing and what level you are at. I just beginning because I am still just learning. Each day you get one free song to learn. You. can search for any song on YouTube and play it. I chose to focus on learning ‘What A Wonderful World’ this week. The YouTube video pops up in the bottom right corner of the screen. In the middle of the screen, there are the chords listed with where to put your fingers.

To slow down the song, you have to subscribe to a premium subscription. I wish that this option was free as the songs are a bit fast-paced for me as I’m still learning. I like how the chords easily move with the timing of the song. This helps so I don’t have to stop changing the page to see the next chords, and my transition can run smoothly between the next chords.

In the future, I would love to use this app to help me learn some more songs. For next week, my plan is to keep practicing this song as well as keep learning some more skills. I need to work on adjusting my finger placement now that I have nails. My nails kept hitting different strings, which they shouldn’t have been. I also want to work on switching to the next chord more smoothly.

3 thoughts on “Acrylic Nails: 1. Jaida: 0”

1. Hey Jaida!
    I remember when I used to get my nails done and having to re-learn how to do some things. Great on you for still practicing your ukulele. I’m sure with more practice with the nails on, it will feel more natural over time.
    This is a great review of the Chordify app. I will definitely have to check it out someday if I ever pick up a ukulele. Ukuleles are fantastic and have such a unique, beach-vibe sound to them. Good luck with the last few weeks of learning how to play the ukelele!

2. Hi Jaida!
    I can relate to the acrylic nails victimizing people! I am a chronic nail chewer and got gel nails again a couple of months ago and was too scared to ask the nail tech to make them shorter again because I am a chronic people pleaser, and left unable to type or text for a month. This app seems really helpful, I own a ukelele but it is so out of tune and I don’t have a clue how to tune it, is that something you’ve struggled with? How have you navigated that?
    Great work!
    Cheyenne

3. Hi Jaida,
    That is such an awesome app that I should try out in my learning project, thank you for continually giving awesome sources for learning instruments. I can’t wait to try it out myself!