Blog post #2 My Obession with Snapchat

Technology is something I use in my everyday life, for my entertainment, social life and most of my school work. To be completely honest I spend a lot of my day on my phone scrolling through TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, VSCO and anything that brings a little joy. I spend most of my time on Snapchat, I would say it is my favourite app on my phone. I got Snapchat in 2015, it has been a big part of my life since. For the past nine years, Snapchat has been my go-to app every time I open my phone, heck it is usually already open when I unlock my phone. Over the past year I have started to slow down on my use of Snapchat, I turned off the notifications and try to avoid going on it throughout the day. I have been trying to put my phone down as a whole, I have been trying to read books instead of doom-scrolling or Snapchatting my life away.

My screentime from last week

I wish I could sit here and tell you all about the apps I use to stay organized and productive, but I am one of the least organized people out there. I would love it if anyone out there would give me some of their apps or tips, I just got an iPad and would love more helpful apps. I do have one app that I try to use to help me when I am doing an assignment which is called focused work. It is a helpful timer that gives me 25 minutes to work on my assignment and then 5 minutes of break time. The most of my organizing is putting the online sticky notes with all of my assignments and due dates on my Macbook desktop. I am still a little old school and like to use a notebook and just write down what I need to get done that day. 

My tech-related distractions have to be Snapchat and TikTok, I know I’m not the only one. I could Snapchat my life away, I Snapchat at any moment in the day and will get sucked in. I do spend too much time on TikTok but it is not quite enough to be able to do it in public. Podcasts also steal a lot of my time. I think podcasts are a little better than doom scrolling because I am usually doing something productive along with listening to my favourite podcast. As I mentioned above I have turned my notifications off on Snapchat so the temptation is less when I am doing something productive. I try to finish my task or a chunk of the task before I pick up my phone, for example when I am reading a book I try to finish a chapter before I look at my phone to answer my Snapchats.