These Hands were Made for Talking

May 14, 2021 1 By Julie F.

This week I decided to learn ASL letters and the word deaf.  I wanted to start small because… 

1. I think learning sign language letters is where it all begins and if I can’t sign at least I can spell out the word.
  2. I wanted to feel a sense of accomplishment when i was finished with this weeks lesson.

I started with the ABC’s. I watched The ASL Alphabet: American Sign Language Letters A-Z and used The ASL app for assistance when I felt stuck. I am somewhat familiar with signing the alphabet so it was a good refresher. For some reason however I had a super hard time remembering F and G. I could go over the alphabet multiple times thinking oh yeah this it, I got it! But, when it came down to it I always forgot the F and the G. 

To assist my learning I decided to try practicing signing the letters while singing the ABC’s in my head. This honestly made a world of difference. Not only was I able to remember them better, but I now know them all by heart, even out of order! As I say that, I should mention that as you can see in the video below I almost forgot the T, which is a letter I never struggled with while I was learning. Strange how the brain works that way as soon as there is a camera pointing at you…

Although I did not learn as much as I initially wanted, I know that I am making progress and that is all I can ask of myself! I think I repeated signing the ASL letters several times a day, which honestly is more than I thought I would.

So, without further ado, here is a video of me signing the ASL letters to the ABC’s song. I also included subtitles in my video because I thought it added an extra element especially for people who may be deaf or hearing impaired.

ASL Letters – I realize now I barely blink… ?

I really enjoyed learning the ASL letters, I work with children every day and even they had fun singing the ABC’s and trying to learn ASL letters along side me while I was only learning myself. This just goes to show you don’t need to be an expert at something to be able to share it with others.

I am really looking forward to continuing with this learning project and I can’t wait to share it all with you!