Course Walkthrough

It was a struggle for me to develop an online course at the start of EC&I 834. I had to decide on a target student audience, a course style and toolkit, content and objectives, evaluation methods, and generally the overall layout of a course prototype. A portion of Grade 4’s shape and space curriculum is the subject of my course prototype. The final project will serve as a unifying element for all the courses and activities in the course that explore various forms of symmetrical and 2D shapes. Also, the curriculum will relate to the mathematical requirements for Grade 4 in Saskatchewan. All lectures and exercises, including tutorial videos that can also be found on a YouTube playlist, will be found in Google Classroom. It has been quite beneficial for me to take this online and blended learning course, and this is the first time I’ve made a lesson plan using the Saskatchewan curriculum. I’ve been pushing myself to the limit and stepping outside of my comfort zone. I’ve been motivated by EC&I 834 to work more, learn new skills, and apply them in the real world.

I wrote multiple blog entries that detail different facets of the creation process. You can view them here:

Course profile: Understanding geometrical shapes (Grade 4)

Mind mapping: A great tool for teacher and students

FEEDBACK: AN OBJECTIVE EVALUATION OF YOUR WORK

Lesson plan 1

My first lesson plan was related to an overview of geometrical shapes Before the start of the first lecture, students are required to develop a Menti meter response for each of the following questions . Prior to the start of the first lecture, students are required to develop a response for each of the following questions:

1. What  did you understand by area?
    2. Did you have any idea, how we can find the area of 2D shapes?
    3. What is the  formula for finding area of a 2D shapes?
    4. Which one you choose a pizza of square shape with side 4 or pizza in circle shape with radius 4?
    5. Give some practical example , where you find it useful to find the area of 2D shapes?

I used a range of educational techniques, and interactive digital tools, and provide written and visual learning opportunities for students throughout our lessons. To complete a self-reflection activity, a google form test, or an assignment using a given rubric, students are required to use a formative or summative assessment technique for each module. Here is the video of Lesson plan 1

Shape and Space – YouTube

Lesson plan 2

In my course profile, I’ve talked about symmetrical shapes and lines of symmetry of 2-D shapes. I utilized Google Classroom and included worksheets, Kahoot activities, and videos from YouTube. I use a variety of teaching techniques, interactive digital tools, and opportunities for textual and visual learning in all of my classes. For example, I introduced a jam board and Kahoot exercises in my course which help them to assess the students. Here is the video of my second lesson plan.

What are the symmetrical and asymmetrical shapes? – YouTube

Final walkthrough of my course prototype

Wakk through shape and space then symmetrical and asymmetrical – YouTube

About Jyoti

I am doing Master of Education in curriculum and instruction.
This entry was posted in EC&I 834. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Course Walkthrough

1. Rochelle Gauthier says:

I myself found it a bit challenging to start my own course. I also am a grade 4 teacher so it’s nice to see other teachers that are in my grade area so that I am able to relate more. I like how you created this area with math. In my own school we have a difficult time to stick to one program in that subject area so all teachers are creating thier own units a long with following a long with the curriculum.

2. Hi Jyoti!
    I think that you did a great job creating your online course using Google classroom. I think that this was a great platform the choose if you were unsure about creating a course prototype! I really liked the video lesson plans that you created and embedded within your lesson for your students. You can tell you put a lot of thought and detail into your lessons for your students. Great job!