Tangles to Triumphs: Week One Wrap Up

January 30, 2024 2 By Kylee Hulm

The first week of my learning project started slow but was followed by a breakthrough. After watching this video, I linked last week. I could do chains quite easily, and I practiced them for a couple of days to get a feel for the hand movements and start learning tension control. When I moved onto step two of doing the actual stitches I felt myself feeling stuck and doubting myself because I seemed to be having issues. I originally started with too small of yarn, which caused me issues regarding the actual crocheting part. After watching a few more videos and doing some research I learned it is suggested to start with a big and colourful yarn so that it’s easier to see the stitches. So fast forward to Tuesday afternoon I impulsively stopped at Micheal’s on my way home from class and got bigger yarn and a bigger hook since the ones I ordered hadn’t arrived yet. As soon as I got home, I rewatched the video above, and then I tried with the new yarn, and instantly, I was able to do stitches. I was so excited that I just kept going and going until I ended up with the little lopsided rectangle below.

Rectangle crochet blob

Moving into week two I plan to begin working on my first crochet project, which will be this headband. According to Amazon, the crochet hook set I purchased should be here this week, including sewing needles to do the bow part of the headband. I will also be going yarn shopping once I figure out my second project. At the moment I’m leaning towards granny squares as they can be used for many different projects. I’m confident moving into week two and cannot wait to see what I learn this week. I am also planning to continue researching crochet terminology as I learned quite quickly there are many terms to learn. As well as jotting down any new tips or advice I learn along the way. Until our next unravelling, take care!