From Skein to Snuggle: A Beginner’s Crochet Blanket Making

March 5, 2024 1 By Kylee Hulm

Hello everyone, and welcome back to my learning project blog. If you’ve been following along with my blog posts, you would’ve seen that last week; I linked a couple of video tutorials and a picture of the yarn I would be using for my next project. I wanted to leave the project reveal as a little cliffhanger. So, whether or not you read my post last week, I’m excited to say that after lots of contemplation, I decided to start crocheting my first blanket! I decided to use this beginner blanket tutorial I liked last week. I found this video to be beginner-friendly and has a good pace at which to follow the steps. If you have never crocheted, this blanket tutorial uses the double crochet stitch. If you’ve made granny squares before, you might already be familiar with this stitch, like I am. 

The materials I’m using for this blanket project were all purchased at Michaels. The yarn I’m using is Sweet Snuggles by Loops & Threads. piece of yarn that came apartI am using an 11.5mm hook, which is the recommended size for this specific yarn. I chose to use a darker blue, light teal, and light grey. Since this is the first bigger project in my crocheting journey, I decided to keep this blanket around the size of a baby blanket. This is so I can get comfortable working with this type of yarn. As you can see, the yarn is quite fluffy, so it can be a bit challenging to see the stitches sometimes. As you can see in the picture I included, the biggest con is that this yarn does come apart easily, so you need to be careful with it. Other than that, I like the yarn.

Since I went on a little getaway to Saskatoon over the February break with my friend, I have not made much progress on the blanket yet, but I will include a picture below of what I have completed. So far in the picture, I have completed my single chain and the first row of double crochets.  Since this blanket requires the double crochet stitch, it takes me a bit more time. However, that did not stop me from completing my first row.  I trust the process and hope that this will turn out well. As you might be able to see in the double crochetphoto, some stitches look a little loose. I think that’s because I haven’t worked with this yarn before, so I struggled with tension control at first. 

Thank you for reading my blog this week. I cannot wait to catch you in the next row of my blanket project.