Blanket Chronicles: Beginner Blanket Update

March 12, 2024 1 By Kylee Hulm

Hey, y’all, welcome back to my blog! This past week, I have been busy working on my blanket. Since this was my first big project, I decided I didn’t want to make the blanket too big. I mentioned last week that I was aiming for a baby blanket size, but I think this one will end up the size of a small throw blanket. The first few rows of my project are a bit loose, but I noticed that the stitches started to have equal tension as I continued. This leads me to the first issue I faced with my blanket. Tension control can be a struggle when first learning how to crochet, but as you crochet more, you learn how to maintain a good tension on the yarn. The second issue I encountered was that the yarn fluff sometimes came apart, as I mentioned in the last post. This issue isn’t a huge concern, but it was annoying since I had pieces of fluff everywhere.

I’ve attached a picture of what I’ve completed so far. The length of the blanket is about 3-4 rows in that picture. I didn’t think I could do this much so fast, but once I started, I got into the groove and kept going. The double crochet stitch I’m using for this project took me a bit to get used to, as I previously used a single crochet stitch. My favourite part about working on my blanket is I can set up my laptop and watch a show or listen to music while crocheting and keeping my hands busy. I tested out how well I could focus when I attended a class call while working on my blanket, and I was able to keep focus on the class without messing up my project. As someone who fidgets a lot, I find it nice to keep my hands busy and know I’m working towards a project at the same time. Thanks for reading my post. I’ll catch you in the next stitch.