Elevate Your Crochet Game: The Magic of Blocking

April 9, 2024 0 By Kylee Hulm

Hi everyone, welcome back to my crochet learning project blog. I have an awaited update on my crochet blanket, but it’s not what I hoped to give. After the previous weeks of my project, which were going great and looking like the attached photo from week 9, I had an unexpected issue.

When I moved onto my second ball of the grey sweet snuggles yarn I was using, I noticed that I had the wrong colour yarn. As you can see in the attached photo above, the colours are so close yet too far apart to use. I was trying to solve the problem, but ultimately, I had to pause my crochet blanket and look into Michael’s return policy. Another issue I ran into was that I lost my receipt, which also threw a wrench into the already existing issue I had with the wrong yarn colour. After going into the store and talking with an associate, she was able to help me find my receipt in their system with some required details of the purchase. All I had to do now was go and find the yarn I needed in the proper colour. After searching for 10 minutes, I found the final ball of the exact yarn and colour I needed, thankfully. So, due to these issues, I sadly did not finish my blanket for the end of this semester as I had hoped to do.

After all the issues I ran into last week, I didn’t let that stop me from crocheting. I took it as an opportunity to find new crochet sources. This week, my social media for finding crochet resources was Pinterest. I have used Pinterest a few times this semester to look for resources, but I found that most were short videos that lasted around 30 seconds or less. After looking around, I found a video on making a DIY Granny Square Blocking Board. This is a skill I have been researching to learn since I am hoping to jump back into practicing making granny squares. This video showed a simple tutorial on how to make your blocking board at home and how to use it. For those who don’t know what a blocking board is, I found these two helpful resources that break down what blocking is, how to block it and the different types of blocking techniques. This first article is lengthy and provides good information, but the downside is it is filled with many ads. The next article by Make & Do Crew is shorter and straight to the point with no advertisements. I have yet to practice blocking; however, I’m hoping to start in the next week or two. Thank you for reading my blog post this week, and I hope you enjoyed learning about blocking.