Lumi to the rescue!

Developing interactive instructional materials with Lumi was an interesting – and often challenging – experience.  BUT, Lumi eventually won me over, despite a few glitches and frustrations.  I’m quite happy with the interactive videos and games created so far, and look forward to exploring more. 

Overview of Course in Development

The online course I’m developing is Compressed Gas Safety, a blended/hybrid course intended for UofR engineering graduate students, research staff and supervisors (professors or Principal Investigators/PIs).  There may be the occasional and slight deviation from this demographic, in that a few lab instructors need training; there are also occasional 5th year undergraduate students who complete their capstone projects in our research labs.  

Participants will complete the basic mandatory Chemical & Lab Safety training (including WHMIS) and an online general safety orientation before attempting the Compressed Gas Safety course.  Participants must also have a designated lab for their research.  (We simply do not have the resources to provide the in-person component to students who are just curious or just have a general interest, but no intention of using the actual training).  The course starts with an online/asynchronous component, in which they learn hazard identification, safe handling techniques, emergency procedures, etc., and ultimately complete a safe operating procedure (SOP) for use in their research.  This is followed by an in-person hands-on training session in their own lab with their own supervisor.  Students must submit their completed in-person training checklist (signed by the supervisor) in order to receive a certificate of completion.  I provided the course rationale previously, with my course profile and ADDIE template posted on our EC&I 834 blog

(My post became very long – read the rest here!)

About Lauren Bradshaw

Hello! I'm a Chemist and Health & Safety Advisor with the Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science, at the University of Regina. I've already completed a MSc in Occupational Health & Environmental Management, but have recently changed gears to pursue a Master's Certificate in Educational Technology and Media.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Lumi to the rescue!

1. Teagan Bryden says:

Hey Lauren. I enjoyed reading your post and checking out your module! The world of adult education – especially in this subject area – is far from my realm so I found this very interesting to go through. I especially liked that you ended the module with a survey to gauge the learners’ experience. I think this checking in portion is significant always, but especially with graduate level learners who are likely very engaged. Don’t worry – I struggled with Lumi as well. Clearly you got the hang of it. Nice work!

2. Amber Anaka says:

Hi Lauren! I always love reading your work. As Teagan mentioned, your area of focus is very different from mine, yet I see many similarities.

The zoom clip and flip introductions are awesome. When I took online classes a few years back, the most challenging part, for me, was the lack of online community. I felt like I was doing it alone, and was very unmotivated. Something as simple as an introduction from the professor and the chance to see/meet my fellow classmates would have helped. Nice work!

Way to roll with Lumi! Great videos.