Course Overview Grade 2 Health

Course Overview Grade 2 Health

Biologic vegetable, comic 2

Target Audience

Grade 2, aged 6-8, high indigenous population in each grade living on File Hills with poverty related issues. Through Jordan’s Principle and their Nations about 80% of the students have some type of technology they can use at home.  The Nations are currently having a SaskTel work with them to provide better internet services.  Our students struggle with various amounts of trauma including intergenerational trauma as a result of residential schools that have negatively impacted their learning.  Many students struggle with FASD, ADHD, ODD and learning gaps due to poor attendance.

Course Timeline

Classes will be held for 32 minutes three times during a six day cycle. Each lesson is estimated to take two classes but can be adapted or modified to suit the students needs.

Rationale for Design

By providing the students with an opportunity to complete their unit through Google classroom will allow them to participate in class even though they are not physically in the building.  Hopefully this easy laid out class will give the students confidence and build their skills in our ever-advancing technology-based learning.  Introducing more technology into the classroom may make learning more engaging thus increase the number of outcomes that a student can complete in a year. 

The reason for choosing Google Classroom was to increase my knowledge in using the platform.  As an administrator many of our teachers in our building use this LMS and I felt the need to understand how it works.  Will it be the best choice for Grade 2? I believe it will be comparable as long as I methodically build the course.

Course Delivery

I will use the modality of Blended (Hybrid) which allows for students to attend face to face learning or the opportunity for it to be completed at home. This unit will be presented through the LMS system of Google Classroom.  There will be no group instruction for this unit, if the students are physically at school they will log into google classroom and follow the easily laid out structure for the lesson and if they are at home they will complete the lessons from home asynchronously.   Students that are in school will receive help individually from teacher when they require help and if the students are at home there will be a set time for students or parents to reach out for help.  Many other types of technology will be pulled in through the Google Classroom platform.  Some of these may include but are not limited to edpuzzle, google meet, PowerPoint, epic reading, and jam board.

Course Materials

Cute mixed race pupils in computer class

• Computer for each student
  • Headphones for each student
  • Access to google classroom
  • Flexible seating in the classroom

Learning Outcome and Indicators

USC2.2 Determine how healthy snacking practices influence personal health.

a. Develop a common understanding and use of respectful language used to talk about snacking (e.g., diet, food, preferences, likes/ dislikes, energy, healthy/unhealthy, sugar, portions).

b. Investigate the role food and water play in being healthy (e.g., food – energy; vitamins – growth; water – 2/3 of one’s body composition, regulates body temperature, eliminates waste).

c. Discuss how to determine if a snack is healthy/unhealthy (e.g., reflect on what is known, gather information).

d. Examine, sample, and describe (i.e., taste, look, smell, feel, sound) a variety of healthy snacks.

e. Investigate benefits of healthy snacking (including but not limited to growth and development, increased concentration, healthy weight, improved oral health).

f. Illustrate how healthy snacking provides sustained energy throughout the day.

g. Examine why people choose particular snacks (e.g., culture, cost, preference, availability, media).

h. Recognize a variety of snacking patterns (e.g., three meals/day with a few snacks, times of day/night for snacking).

i. Examine personal preferences for snacking (e.g., class survey).

Guiding Questions/ Unit Lessons

1. What are healthy foods?
  2. What is the role of food and water for our bodies?  Thinking child boy on black background with light bulb and question marks. Brainstorming and idea concept
  3. How can we describe foods?
  4. What are the benefits of healthy snacking?
  5. Why do we eat certain foods?

Special Considerations

• If students do not have technology at home our division has been lucky enough to be able to supply students with laptops or iPads to support online learning if the students are unable to be in school.
  • We have also been able to supply students with Wi-Fi hotspots through SaskTel.
  • Some students may require more one on one guidance to make them successful with Google classroom

Attendance

Students that miss class can go on google classroom and catch up on the work asynchronously (before launching this blended learning unit to the students there will be many opportunities for students to familiarize themselves with the use of google classroom). Students will be required to complete each lesson and have an opportunity to meet with the teacher once daily if they have questions via chat through google classroom.

Assessment/Assessment Strategies

There will be many opportunities for students to be assessed. Some options they will have are completing the assignments online, a paper copy of the assignment, conversation with teacher either face to face/online or even submitting a video of their work.  Students will also be assessed on the I can statements that will be represented within the assignments.

Assignments

There will be an assignment for each lesson that students will have to complete.  If they can not complete the assignment online paper copies will be made available depending in the situation.  There will be both summative and formative types of assignments that will be used towards assessment.

Communication Communication will be sent home through Google classroom, along with EDSBY and phone calls home before the unit starts to communicate the new learning tool.

3d man holding phone

5 thoughts on “Course Overview Grade 2 Health

1. This sounds like a great unit!
    I am also planning a unit for the primary level… So many questions and concerns run through my mind! However, I am starting to realize they are better with technology than myself at times!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. Hi Lindsey,

I really liked your section on special considerations, because these are often little facets that can derail a great plan or lesson. It is really cool that wifi hotspots are available through sasktel.

Have you thought about how you might meet the needs of students who will need more guidance or additional support with technology and the learning format?

Thanks for sharing!

3. Hello Lindsey,
    I was so excited to see a fellow 1-3 teacher finding a way to navigate this for your students! I like that you will be addressing food security. Working with students who don’t always have access to food choices can lead to guilt and shame if we don’t address these circumstances at this age. I’m looking forward to seeing the unit!

4. I made many units for online learning that were self paced and required very little direct instruction. I found that this needed much more work at the start of the unit to create and set up. Once students were working and understood the unit, it was smooth. I also kept similar formats for later units. This created flexibility for students and families and was appreciated. The drawback was students who really struggled. I kept “Office Hours” for questions. Good luck with your internet access struggles.
    Brianne

5. Hi Lindsey,

I really enjoyed previewing your course overview. You have selected a very important topic and I can tell you have spent a lot of time thinking of special considerations to make the delivery of this unit go smoothly. I am glad to hear Sasktel is working with your families to provide better access.
    I look forward to learning more about your course.
    Thank you for sharing.