The sun rises and awakens the silent streets of parked cars waiting for its engine to be roused and ready to roam the streets. 

Crepuscular rays shed its light on the world that was once dark minutes ago. 

It is a warm morning as I am standing at the corner of my block to be picked up by the bus driver.  I sit in the very back of the bus and my stomach begins to ache from all the bumps on the way to school. 

Mrs. Janet was not at the door to greet us today, but rather an unfamiliar woman who claims to be Ms. Donahue, our substitute teacher for the day. 

My stomach ache has not been treating me well so I ask Ms. Donahue If i can go to the washroom. She refuses to let me go and so I walk back to my desk and continue my silent reading with the class. Not even a few minutes later my classmate, Sarah, asks to go to the washroom and the substitute teacher permits her to go, along with a friendly smile. 

Hours go by and all of the attempts of asking to go to the washroom has been denied.

Ms.Donahue then calls me not by my name or last name but “chocolate milk”. 

“Hey you, uh chocolate milk.”

As I am occupied with my assignment I quickly look up and the whole class is staring at me. A few are giggling, covering themselves with their hands, and most sit at their desks with looks of confusion. 

“My name is Lovelee and I politely ask you to never call me that again”. 

The substitute teacher gives the class a whole lecture on how it is important to give teachers respect and uses me as an example as to why people like me cannot have nice things and are the types of people who deserve to be put aside. She proceeded to call me out for “being disrespectful” for talking back to a teacher and by doing so, she sent me to the office for the rest of the day. 

• I think we have all gone through a point in our elementary years where we got called names by our friends, but I would never expect myself to be called “chocolate milk” because of my skin color especially coming from a substitute teacher. Ever since that event took place, when our class went outside some classmates would not stop calling me that name and the teacher would laugh along too.  From that day on I have realized that I differ from some people in my class. I used to sometimes wonder what life would be like if I were white and imagine how well I would be treated. Seeing other people going through similar and extreme experiences of racism gives me strength and courage that we can all come together and stand up. I have realized that racism is a recurring issue and that it takes a nation for it to end.  I am very proud to be a person of color and even though I may get treated differently because of that, I can use my voice  to educate those who are “colorblind” in hopes that they can eventually see the beauty of all colors.