Growing up I have been known to be the main “Tita” (auntie) in the family. The phone calls I would receive are from my cousins or my sister asking if I could babysit their little ones for a while. With my admiration for children, that was the easiest question I have answered my whole life.

Learning what to give to a child through trial and error is fairly difficult as babies cannot communicate with their needs. Figuring out what a child wants after a few to many attempts gives me not only relief that I accomplished something, but the patience I have gained through these babysitting experiences.

With me being the goofy, childish, outgoing person I am, my energy perfectly matches theirs!

My decision to becoming a teacher was inspired by my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Brassard. This wonderful lady incorporates different ideas in ways to educate her students for a better understanding. She understands that students learn differently and that some require different ways to accumulate their knowledge of the lessons being taught. Mrs. Brassard has taught me how to write notes, to never forget the name and date when handing in assignments , and that flash cards can be your greatest study buddy. All these things she has taught me and many more, I still use today and hope to teach this to my own students as well. She perfectly created a diverse environment where everyone felt safe and secure. Students who travelled across the world and landed into Regina for an education were welcomed with opened arms. There was no sense of discomfort and most new students loved coming to school. In fact, students who moved up grades and/or graduated from this elementary school still visit her!

I recently been hired as a Childcare provider at this daycare I work at and ever since I set food into that welcoming place, I have never felt so happy taking care and educating these children. The other day it was learning time and the subject was on math. In order for them to understand how to properly answer an equation on addition, I presented a symbol of hearts where for example: 2+2=? —-> ❤️❤️ + ❤️❤️ = ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 4 hearts. They learned this method quite fast and well. There were a few who did not quite understand so I assisted them individually and provided a different learning method and they got it in no time!

Them counting hearts made them so excited to learn about math (they were complaining before).

After all these experiences and many more to come I have realized that I am in the right field.