It’s Raining… Water and Fertilizer

Now the hard part begins – how do I keep everything alive?

At the start of this project, I was nervous about this part as I planted a lot in a short amount of time so the upkeep felt overwhelming. I decided to start with some YouTube videos to get a general idea:

These videos were very helpful, but what really helped was the PictureThis app – I swear it’s just that good that’s why I’m mentioning it twice.

The app allows you to save all the plants uploaded into the app and it gives you a detailed breakdown of when to water, how much to water, and when to fertilize. The app even allows you to set reminders to water and fertilize and a monthly checklist – game changer!

PictureThis app screenshot
PictureThis App

Another amazing feature of the app is the diagnostic tool where the app identifies any issues with your plants and provides you with tips to remedy the issue.

PictureThis app screenshot
PictureThis App

With all this new knowledge (not sure how my brain is storing it all) I went to Costco’s garden center to get the goods. I will admit I didn’t do any research in this part I just let go and let the garden centre tell me what I needed.

Fertilizer and plant food
Fertilizer and Plant Food

Now I just need to follow the watering and fertilizer schedule that I have set up in my app and hopefully, we will see some beautiful flowers and delicious herbs in no time.

8 thoughts on “It’s Raining… Water and Fertilizer”

1. Mariah, I’m really enjoying following your gardening project. As a new homeowner myself, I understand the time and effort that goes into making the outdoor space ‘your own’. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of the amount/frequency of both watering and fertilizing the various things they plant in their gardens. With how expensive it is to keep a garden alive (I’m known to kill a handful of plants every year), I’m looking forward to trying out the PictureThis app. Thanks for the recommendation!

1. Seriously the app is amazing. It works for house plants too! I love the app some much that I even paid for the yearly subscription which is something I NEVER do.

2. I am going to keep a close eye on your project (no pressure or anything). I love creating beautiful planters and I always go so hard in the beginning and then I slowly lose my motivation or something happens to a plant and I have no idea how to bring them back from the brink, or sometimes things just go great but it is total luck and guessing on my part. I like that you have included an app, definitely something I should get too.

1. At the start of this project, I was worried that I would start to lose interest in the plants, but I am finding a lot of peace after a day’s work (or a week’s worth of work) in the garden. Everything is starting to grow and checking on my little plant babies brings me a weird amount of joy! I’m hoping that everything goes smoothly in my little yard and that I don’t have to bring anything back from the brink, but I fear the day may come – I feel like there is always one plant that refuses to grow or live! But thank goodness for Googling and YouTube.

3. Mariah, I love plants! My outside plants are all perennials as I am not around enough in the summer to worry about plants. In my office at school, I have an entire wall of plants. I like ones that reproduce as I can then use them to give to my students or use them as gifts for different days during the year. Good luck on your journey and thanks for sharing the PictureThis app. I think I might purchase it as well to help me keep my plants in top-notch condition. Hope you are able to find your green thumb through this journey.

1. Thanks for the comment Andrea. Last year, I started my house plant journey, but I never found house plants to be as daunting as outdoor plants. I think, as you said, that I could keep them year round. An added bonus is that you just buy them and pretty much let them be outside of a semi-regular watering schedule. I’ve always been scared to take up an outdoor garden, but honestly I am so happy that I did. Watching all my little babies grow has been weirdly gratifying.

4. Everything is looking so great, Mariah! I also have the PictureThis app and LOVE it but I use it for my indoor plants. Keeping indoor plants alive was something I did a few summers ago as a project and now have over 50 plants in my sunroom. I commend you for this venture as it is a constant task to keep plants alive! I wish I had more time to dedicate to our landscaping. Perhaps that will be my next focus and I can use your blog as inspiration and a guide.

1. I always felt so overwhelmed by keeping a yard. For the last three years, I have been a big mulch girl. I would pull anything and everything (weeds or not) and just cover the beds in mulch. Did it look bad? No. But was it nice? No it wasn’t. I am so happy to see everything grow! Right now I have my fingers crossed that the flowers will bloom soon.