Learning from Place

February 4, 2020 5 By Michaela

In Restoule’s Learning from Place: A Return to Traditional Mushkegowuk Ways of Knowing, there are many way in which reinhabitation and decolonization take place throughout the narrative. Youth and Elders walked together and built up their intergenerational community, Youth learned to be connected to the land, Youth learned more about their cultural identity and traditional ways of knowing, Youth became more immersed in the Cree language by learning older terms, Elders contributed to a mapping project with traditional names and locations, and relationships were deepened between the people and the land.

These ideas can inspire my own ways of place-based teaching in my future career. I intend to immerse my students in nature, and to teach them about many ways of knowing about the life outside their back doors. I want to ensure a respect for the land in my students, and to build up a generation of environmental activists. I also intend to introduce students to Indigenous maps of the land they are living on, and help to increase their understanding of the place they are living by helping them to understand the past and present.

Source:

Restoule, Jean-Paul, et al. “Learning from Place: A Return to Traditional Mushkegowuk Ways of Knowing.” Canadian Journal of Education, vol. 36, no. 2, 2013, pp. 68-86.