Eurocentric Mathematics

March 14, 2020 0 By Michaela

Eurocentrism values one way of doing things. There is always a right way to do something. I certainly experienced this in mathematics growing up. I started out with a fascination and love for math. I enjoyed the rules and patterns. However as I experimented and found new ways to manipulate numbers I was frequently punished for diverging from the correct way of doing things. I often lost marks for not “showing my work” when I found tricks to mentally speed up processes. I was seen as difficult when I solved questions in ways other than what I was instructed. By ninth grade I was disillusioned by mathematics in the classroom. It became my least favourite school subject, even though I was still asking for math books for my birthday, and manipulating polynomials as a favourite pastime. For me, this really accentuates the Eurocentric value of a right way to do things.

After reading Poirier’s article, I learned that the Inuit people see mathematics as more of an everyday useful tool than we are taught. In high school classes especially you often hear students asking, “when will I ever use this?” The Inuit view of mathematics is much more practical. Inuit children are taught maths concepts through stories, which makes concepts come alive much more than rote memorization is able to. Children taught mathematics from an Inuit perspective also have much higher spatial awareness than Eurocentrically taught students. This just goes to show that the idea of one right way is unfounded and limiting.

Source:

Poirier, L. (2007). Teaching mathematics and the Inuit community, Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 7(1), p. 53-67.