Educational Philosophy

I believe that as educators we need to acknowledge and see the potential in all our students. I once went to a PD Event where Dr. Jody Carrington was the speaker and she said “when we are acknowledged, we rise” and that has been stuck in my head ever since. Students want to feel seen, heard, and recognized. If we can build positive relationships with all our students and have them know that we support them and want to see them succeed then many students will have a mind shift change from their regular school approach. I believe that relationships are the foundation for building a positive learning environment and for students to succeed, and I believe that every student has amazing potential in them, they just need someone to see it and guide them towards it. I also see the importance of social justice in education. I will work towards being a culturally responsive teacher. Including Treaty Education in my lessons and working towards Truth and Reconciliation is all very important to me. My learning will never stop as an educator and I can’t wait to continue learning about ways that I can make my classroom a more inclusive and open space for all students.

Quote that reads "Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world" by Nelson Mandela
“Education quotes 3” by kjimega is marked with CC PDM 1.0