Reflecting on my Learning Journey

We are now at the end of our learning project journey. As I reflect I realize the many changes I have made from the beginning and am proud of what I have accomplished. Below I have reflected on each week of this project:

Week 1Beginning of my Learning ASL Journey

road, start, beginning
Photo by geralt on Pixabay

-I wanted to learn ASL so if I have a student who is hard of hearing or deaf I can at least have some basic knowledge of the language to communicate with them

-My only knowledge of ASL was the alphabet

-I made an account on the website Lingvano and an app called Ace ASL

-Plan was to follow along with the modules on Lingvano

Week 2Things Don’t Always go as Planned…and that’s Ok!

-Found that “Lingvano” was not a website that I wanted to use anymore for my learning as it cost money to continue with the modules

-Started watching Youtube videos from Sign Language 101

-Learnt that people may sign words differently as every person has their own unique style of signing

-Learnt about iconic signs

Week 3Screencastify and my ASL Journey

-Watched lesson 2 of Sign Language 101

-Used Screencastify to record a quiz from Sign Language 101 and then used the editing tools to document my answers

Week 4Counting and Fingerspelling

-Watched lesson 3 of Sign Language 101

-I made a video of me signing numbers 1-30. I was pretty pumped that I was able to count that high in ASL

-Found the game Fingerspelling which I really enjoyed using to review the alphabet

-Made a video on how to use Fingerspelling

Week 5New Addition to my Learning Resources

-Watched lesson 4 of Sign Language 101, however I realized that this was not the main resource I wanted to use to learn ASL anymore, it’s a great extra tool but was not working with my learning style as the main source

-Signed up for ASLConnect (and I still really enjoy using it)

-Using Screencastify, I made two videos of me practicing my signing on ASLConnect

Week 6Deaf Culture

-I was so happy because I learnt how to have a basic introduction conversation with someone in sign, so I made a video of it

-Watched lesson 5 of Sign Language 101

-Learnt a fingerspelling practicing technique which is to fingerspell things in your house as you see them

-Talked a bit about deaf culture since my instructor in Sign Language 101 reminded me that learning about the culture in any language is important

What I learnt from this experience:

What I have found from my journey so far is that being able to practice after given small bits of information is key for my learning. I favorited resources that gave me time to practice versus the ones that didn’t, I found those ones went to quickly for me to be able to fully comprehend what I learnt. I only found one game online for ASL (I was hoping to find more) but it was so fun! I feel when you are learning something, playing a game that incorporates the knowledge always helps you to learn better.

Some key things I have learnt that I want to share:
-Facial expressions are key to interacting with someone through sign

Collage photo of woman
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels

-Just like any language, people have their own unique style of signing

-Even if you don’t know ASL, there are “iconic signs”-ones that are visually representative of the word (for example: anyone would be able to recognize the word ‘swim’). So really when you think about it, you do know some sign already!

-I have found it quite useful to see myself on the screen when practicing sign

Woman in white dress shirt sitting on chair using macbook
Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko on Pexels

After this class is over, I will continue on with my ASL journey. I am glad we have had the time to reflect on which resources we liked or didn’t like because now I know what works best for me. I’m looking forward to using this new skill in my classroom, whether it’s to communicate with a member of my school or just to teach my students so they have some basic knowledge of ASL.

This entry was posted in EDTC300, Learning project. Bookmark the permalink.