The ASL App

Square

This week I began to learn common words or short phrases. I did so through “The ASL App”. I did some research for free apps that would help me in my ASL learning journey. This app had great reviews, so I thought I would give it a try. 

https://theaslapp.com

This app was very user friendly and easy to navigate. As you can in the screenshot below, there are many categories that you can explore. When you chose a category, you are essentially given flashcard style representations of the words. Each word has a video demonstration. One thing I loved was the function of putting the video in slow motion. This was a very helpful feature as it was my first-time exploring these words. 

I also really enjoyed learning about the company that created the app. Their vision statement and reasoning for creating the app was very meaningful. The ASL App Website states:

We believe in the importance of bridging communities together, especially in places with large and thriving Deaf & signing communities. As Deaf people, we always get asked, “Where can I learn ASL?”

Instead of facing confusing resources scattered across the internet, we wanted to make learning ASL super easy, accessible, and fun. That inspired us to create the app, so our friends who don’t sign can sign away. So more conversations can happen, ideas to emerge, and friendships to grow!

This app offers both free and paid features. In my opinion, the free features are more than enough for a beginner learner. I used all of the free categories, and I was able to learn a lot.

Although I am still slow, this app was a great tool in developing my ASL skills! I will definitely keep using it for practice or quick references.

Let me know if there are any other ASL apps that you have found helpful!

Comment

2 Replies to “The ASL App”

1. Thank you for sharing that resource with us. I think that having videos and slow motion options is definitely a great way to learn. I am intrigued to learn ASL at some point too. Are you able to practice what you have been learning with anyone?

-Shana

2. Thank you so much for sharing. It is always great to have resources like this to back up the learning and material you cover. You mention that the app is also very easy to navigate, which to me is essential. If the resource is tough to navigate, quality learning can’t take place. Having a simple, yet effective resource really enhances the quality of learning.