Hey, it’s time to crochet!

I have to be honest. A minimal contributing factor in my decision to learn how to crochet is the video online where the kid is so excited to go to the store and get supplies for crocheting and her mom cannot contain her laughter because the adorable, innocent child is pronouncing ‘crocheting’ as “crotch-et-ing”. The contribution factor is minor, but every time I hear or read the word ‘crochet’ I can’t help but smile thinking of this little girl and her want to learn “crotch-et-ing”. 

When it comes to crochet I am an absolute beginner. I have never tried to crochet, but my end goal is to be able to make a cardigan for myself and a big bed for my dog! I am going to start small by learning a few stitches and move on to small projects when I have the technique down, then I will work my way up to bigger and more complex projects. I’ve always thought it would be so cool to be able to make my own clothes, and I love crafts and projects that require fine-motor skills and attention to detail. While my creations don’t always turn out the way I envisioned them to, I have fun doing it and am proud of my work nonetheless. Now, it is time to pick up a new hobby! 

screenshot of yarn and crochet hooks in online Amazon cart
Of course I opted for the #1 best seller

What do I do when I get a big idea to start something new? Add to cart. Of course, when I decided on crochet as my learning project I immediately hopped onto Amazon and bought the things I thought I’d need. Soon I will have a kit of different sized crochet hooks and some funky coloured safety-pin looking things (not sure what purpose those will serve, but excited to find out), and 20 assorted yarn skeins on my front step waiting for me. 

I did a preliminary search to see if I could find much for online resources to teach me to crochet, and I don’t think I will be in short supply. I am also interested to see how I can use social media as a tool to learn crochet, as it has become a trendy hobby. 

Stay tuned for my first attempt at crochet! 

4 thoughts on “Hey, it’s time to crochet!”

1. Hey Raisa! I think “croch-et-ing” is an awesome idea for your learning project, and I love the story behind how you got interested in the subject! Recently I was gifted a crocheted apple to place on my desk while I was in my internship and I am so amazed at the level of detail you can achieve with a little yarn and a whole lot of patience! (Reach out if you need some inspiration and I would gladly send you a picture of the apple!)

Being able to make your own clothes is super cool! Do you have a particular pattern in mind yet, ie. stripes, plaid, etc.?

I am looking forward to seeing how things turn out! Good luck!

2. Hi Raisa! I love your post! I appreciate that you were honest about some of your motivation to choose this as your learning project. I definitely think that choosing a topic that makes you smile will help to motivate you to continue working towards your goal. Learning to crochet has been on my to do list for a long time so I am looking forward to learning about some great resources to get me started from your journey. A popular trend on my Instagram feed lately has been people crocheting stuffed animals crossed with food or other fun objects. One that I fell in love with was a dinosaur with the back of a taco. I think that my goal is to someday be able to create something like this on my own. Have you thought about creating any cute creatures like this after you make your cardigan and dog bed? Looking forward to see how your project goes!

1. Thank you! I am hoping to make some sort of stuffed animal for my dog to play with. Sully LOVES stuffed animals, he has one that he’s had since we brought him home and it goes everywhere with him and he knows it by name! I just found a package of the fluffy yarn at a thrift store this weekend and I am hoping to make a bunny I have saved on my Instagram. I hope you find my blog helpful whenever you decide to pick up crocheting!