Turtle Trouble

Friends, I have been totally neglecting my crocheting… At first, I wasn’t exactly sure why I was struggling so much with actually spending time crocheting, but I think I’ve finally put my finger on it. When I began crocheting, I was just practicing stitches and repeating patterns to consistently improve upon the basics of crochet. After practising these things for a while, I tried to advance to more complicated patterns and have been really struggling with these. I do have a bit of a tendency to get frustrated when things get tough, and I think I just need to push through the mud and keep attempting these more complicated patterns, or I need to go back to the basics. 

Another reason I’ve been procrastinating my crocheting is because I am having a difficult time finding patterns that are informative enough for me as a beginner, but more challenging than the patterns I began with. For example, I have been working on this turtle pattern for a little while now, and I am having a difficult time getting the sizing and stitch count to be exact. One issue might be the bulky type of yarn I am using. It is pretty challenging to determine where the stitches are with this type of yarn, so I find myself having to restart and recount my stitches quite frequently. 

So far, I only have two flippers complete, but I will update here when I have more of my turtle done. 

Finished turtles from the pattern tutorial I am following.

Cheers! 

4 thoughts on “Turtle Trouble”

1. Hey Raisa, I totally get what you mean. I’m also doing crocheting for my project, and I have been neglecting mine recently. The struggle of finding a good tutorial for a beginner project that isn’t super time-consuming can be such a challenge. I’m excited to see how your turtle project turns out!

Best of luck!

2. You got this!

I am also finding it challenging to learn a new skill. While it is great that we have deadlines and blog posts to keep us accountable, it can be challenging to find inspiration to keep going. My mom crochets all the time, and I have no idea how she does it. I thought about picking up this hobby, but it’s definitely not as easy when you are first starting. I will have to pass on this pattern to my mom since she loves to crochet and loves turtles!