Back to the Basics

After my little pause on crochet projects, I was inspired to return to the basics after watching this TikTok video explaining some crochet basics. I decided to crochet a few rows as a fidget while being mindful of the basics, and WOW I improved! It’s interesting when something becomes easier by simply hearing it explained in a different way. This is something I often think about when working on skills with kids, but rarely apply to myself. It’s definitely something to be mindful of in the classroom. 

The TikTok that I watched was awesome, because the creator went slowly and fully explained each step. There were so many tips and tricks I either picked up or forgot were necessary, like holding the proper amount of tension on the yarn. I definitely prefer learning crochet through TikTok or Youtube because of how easy it is to pause the video and rewind if necessary, as opposed to Instagram reels. 

crocheted yarn
I’m improving!

When I started feeling confident in my basic skills again, I looked up a tutorial on how to make a dog bandana. I came across this video which caught my attention due to the title claiming it was beginner friendly. I definitely agree with the title, because it was super simple to follow! I really liked that the creator emphasised throughout the video that it’s okay if every stitch doesn’t line up, and “try your best to…, but if you don’t that’s okay”. I definitely gained confidence in my skills and didn’t feel like if it wasn’t perfect I’d have to start again. Perfectionism is likely a culprit in my previous crocheting aversion, but no longer is. 

Now, please enjoy this photoshoot of my doggo (Sully) in his brand new, adorable bandana!

dog in crocheted bandana

2 thoughts on “Back to the Basics”

1. Ohhhhhhhkay, now, can we please talk about how adorable Sully is?! Made even more adorable with his new, handmade bandana! Love it! I hope the tips and tricks you learned (or re-learned) will help you as you carry on with your crochet journey.

I love the connection you made between breaking down steps and the learning process and how we, as adults, rarely think about doing that for ourselves yet we don’t think twice about it when working with kids! Sometimes, many times, maybe even most of the time, we need to give ourselves more grace and take the time that we need to find a process that works for us – no matter how old we are!

2. Raisa,

I am with Chantelle on this… Sully is SO ADORABLE 😭❤️! The most stylish pup around indeed. Also it’s so true that different explanations can make all the difference, whether we’re teaching kids in the classroom or learning something new ourselves. And the convenience of platforms like TikTok and YouTube for learning crochet is undeniable – being able to pause, rewind, and replay until you’ve mastered a technique is a game-changer. Keep up the wonderful work, you are doing amazing 😊.

Emma