Oct 25 PDP

October 27, 2023 0 By Stella Mulatz
Professional Development Plan (short-term)
Date: October 24, 2023 Class/context:  3/4 Art
Intern:  Stella Mulatz Observer: Hannant
Professional Focus / Intention / Goal: 

Classroom Management Strategies 

• Getting the attention of the class quickly and efficiently throughout the lesson or when in need of their attention
Steps to achieve goal / I will practice:

Use calls or signals to redirect their attention 

• If you can hear me clap once

Waiting for students to be quiet before I begin giving the next instructions 

Specific instructions for observer:

I often feel myself struggling to get students’ attention without sounding too strict and raising my voice. I want to get better at using calls or signals to gain students’ attention so we don’t waste extra time trying to settle down. I found calls that have worked in the past are… 

• If you can hear my voice clap one time etc
  • Having them repeat noises back to me (ba bada ba ba – ba ba)

I would like you to watch for this occurring while teaching this week so I can work on this focus throughout class. I would like you to watch for if I am using them at the correct time, if the students are responding to my calls, how often I use the calls and which calls are the most effective. 

Data Collection / Observations:

• Note which attention grabber gets students’ attention the quickest 
  • Note how often I use the attention grabbers 
Comments / Feedback related to professional focus:

The co-op teacher stated that students were responsive to my calls and I was able to get their attention quickly. I used the calls “baba baba – baba” and “if you can hear my voice clap once” and just called out “3/4’s eyes on me” and then “Are we listening” and they were responsive to the calls. She said the students were engaged and working in the lesson so I didn’t have to use too many but when I did they went well.

Self-reflection related to the professional experience, feedback provided, and/or post-conference conversation:

I think I did really well getting their attention. In the previous lesson, I waited too long and was struggling to get their attention because they were just talking over me. But when I did the call and then asked if they were listening they would all stop what they were doing to listen. They responded really well to the calls and it got their attention almost instantly. If they started to drift throughout the 

Next steps / for future practice:

Try out new calls and see which ones get the best response. It will be different in all calls and all classes. But hopefully I can find one I like using that the students respond well to.