Learning Blog #12 – HOW TO Photograph the Northern Lights: Week 8

In my 2nd blog <link> I mentioned; Saskatchewan is called the “land of the living sky”.

And my long been bucker list is; to see “northern lights”.  Before I moved to Saskatoon, I had no idea light are visible from here. I was so happy when I got to know; we can see the northern lights from here.  To my disappointment, I am yet to see one almost after being 7 months here.  Mosely because of myself, being hesitant to step out in dark. (Though, I have been able to gather the courage to go out for light hunting, both times with no luck).

Now coming back to the topic of this blog.  I know soon enough I will be able to find them. I want to make sure, I am prepared to capture that movement when I see one. So here is what I have understood about Auroras and how to capture them.

Having to do much hunting, this Youtube is the first one I found, and have been very informative, (Bull’s    eyes at first hit ;))

Here is what Tips I have compiled for myself for the time comes:

• Things I would need:
    • A Good enough camera: Either a DSLR or phone camera with manual control.
    • I tripod to keep my Camera/phone steady for long exposure.
    • One Torch Light: phone flash would do.
    • A safe dark place. Safety First.
    • A good pair of winter shoes. proper winter clothing (Don’t forget gloves, beany,  proper face covering)
    • Also, check the weather reports for the night. Sky would need to clear for lights to be seen (obviously ): Check your phone before stepping out. Or go old school, and look at the sky, your eyes will tell you if it’s a good clear sky day ;).

———————————————————————————-

• When to Step out:
    • Apparently predicting northern light is quite similar to weather prediction. So, great minds have figure out to find   track and predict them. Not as accurate as Earth’s weather, still good enough.  There are a lot of app available, simple search in app store be enough. (just pick the one with good rating)
      • Otherwise: checkout this website: here
    • Joint local Aurora hunter’s group:  here is the link for Sasketchwan : Saskatchewan Aurora Hunters

————————————————————————————-

• Camera things to remember :
    • Keep ISO to lowest: Other wise you will end up with grainy image.
    • Keep Camera Focus to manual: Focus at far point : Otherwise, smart part of your camera would try to focus on brightest area in frame.
    • Keep shutter speed low: Ideally around 2-5 sec. Depending on  how bright lights surrounding and moon light is. Try different setting. Don’t try to for very long exposers, since light will be moving. there won’t be much contrast left in image. Just green colour all over the frame.
    • Use tripod: as long exposer would need camera to be stable.
    • Don’t be disappointed, if they are not as bight as they look in pictures.

This is me on many nights:

On final note, I will be hunting more for my chance capture northern lights. I have been able to learn theory on  “Photograph the Northern Lights”. Will be revisiting this blog and add pictures whenever I am successful.  Meanwhile, If you are avid Aurora hunter, and live in Saskatoon. You are welcomed to join my adventures in this journey.

Looking forward for this:

Until  then

3 thoughts on “Learning Blog #12 – HOW TO Photograph the Northern Lights: Week 8”

1. This is a beautiful topic Sunaina! Growing up, I would watch the northern lights with my grandparents and this summer I attempted to capture the moment and successfully failed hahahah I will be taking your tips from this blog post. I am hopeful you will capture the moment of the northern lights!

2. I love all things weather and the environment. So northern lights is an interesting topic. I didn’t realize how much one has to navigate the perfect night for the northern lights. I hope to catch a glimpse of them again, because it is truly magical.