Week 2 [Curriculum Theory & Practice]

Learning about the Tyler rationale demonstrated how the education system is set up.  As an educator, it makes sense as to why that has been our teaching style, the “objectives are set, a plan drawn up, then applied, and the outcomes (products) measured” (3).  Organized, and seemingly simple enough, however, I recall in my schooling experience having missing information or learning opportunities.  You would either not understand the topic given to you or you wouldn’t catch on to the actual outcome of the assignment given (such as how to write an essay).  I think a big part of learning is to fully learn and comprehend how to do the assignment, such as an essay, as well as the topic that it is supposed to be on, which was never the case for myself and other classmates.  Another thing was the lack of expansion on topics if it wasn’t specifically in what they were teaching, it was very “they are told what they must learn and how they will do it” (4), which diminishes the want to expand our knowledge for ourselves.  We aren’t really taught to think or wonder things unless we are told or asked to in school, like in the text it says “The focus on pre-specified goals may lead both educators and learners to overlook learning that is occurring as a result of their interactions” (5).  Curriculum as a guideline is a wonderful thing, but “programmes inevitably exist prior to and outside the learning experiences” (4), which to me means that you should take the curriculum or programme to guide your classes but allow the free thought and conversation, be a learner with your students, not a dictator of learning.

Work Cited

Smith – Curriculum Theory and Practice