Storying the Self #4 – Seriously?

It is another day and I am at the gym going through my workout. Things are going good. I can feel my legs burning as I go through one last hang-clean. My set is done. Relax. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. I wipe away beads of sweat that are trickling down my face. Working hard feels so good. I grab a sip of water and begin my last set. Slight bend of the knees, keep the bar close to your body, I rehearse in my mind as I get ready to grip the bar. Back straight, weight transfer … explode! I finish off a couple more reps and put away the plates and barbell. I move over to the corner and start my landmine pivot press. The gym is not very busy today, this is really nice. Nobody is staring at me as I complete my workout. I feel great.

I set the bar down after my last rep and a middle-aged man approaches me. He starts talking to me and acknowledges that he has been watching me workout. He sounds very educated and I am sure to give him my full attention and respect as I listen. He then takes an unexpected turn in the conversation. He talks about how my workout exercises are too demanding for my female body. He goes on to explain that I should not be lifting such heavy weights. He says that women were not made to lift how I am lifting. I stand shocked in disbelief. According to him men were built to work in the fields and to do manual labor, and women were meant to stay at home to cook and clean. He tells me that if I continue with my workout regime I will not be able to have children. I try to pick my jaw up off the floor as I listen. Men apparently are more suited to the exercises that I was doing. Men are strong enough to deal with tackles in football and heavy lifting; women I guess are not.

After a five-minute conversation with this gentleman, I finally got a word in. I explained to him that I am a university athlete and that I am completing a training program that has science behind it. He still disputes. He again cautions that I will not be able to have kids. I half-heartedly thank him for his insight and slowly back away to go complete the rest of my workout. I pause and think to myself, why are women seen as weak? Where has this man been hiding? He must live under a rock.