Storying the Self #1: Gameday

It’s gameday. I adjust my shin pads underneath my socks, and I finish lacing up my cleats with care. I close my eyes getting ready for today’s test. I can feel the energy surging through each of my muscles. From the ends of my toes to the tips of my fingers. It’s gameday. I walk over to the mirror to take once last glance. I adjust my ponytail one last time and make sure that my hair band is sitting just right. I tug at my silky uniform top and shorts so they sit flat and professionally. I head back to my seat. I am ready.

With butterflies in my stomach and excitement in the air, two by two we leave the locker room now exposed to the element’s todays match will take place in. The sun seems to be absent, hidden far behind the thick grey clouds that cover the sky; almost as if it were sent into exile. The wind starts to blow. I reassure myself that today is a wonderful day to play a game of soccer.

Everyone is dressed in heat gear, mitts, toques, and jackets to trap the warmth around us as we prepare for the game. With each stride I take as we make our way across the field I can feel the thick turf beneath the soles of my feet. The rubber pellets parting ways as the weight of my body sinks each stud into the artificial grass. Hungry for an exceptional performance.

We complete warm-up. “Touch, play, move” my coach repeats as we string passes together. We all shiver and adjust our layers to insure no unnecessary heat is lost. Shards of ice begin to fall from the sky, and the wind whips them around viciously cutting our faces and legs.

The referee calls us in for the walk out. I grab a quick last sip of water and lineup beside my teammates. We walk out single file with great strength and confidence in each step. Head up, chin out, eyes forward. We fan out professionally facing the crowd, our loyal fans bundled up to the extreme clap and cheer. The sound is muffled from scarf covered mouths and glove covered hands. We all rise and turn to the flag. I can see my breath in front of me and the dark clouds move in to surround the field as if they came to watch.

The anthem begins to play. “Oh Canada, our home and native land…” I follow. I sing with a sense of pride and confidence, grateful for the country I call home. I always sing the anthem out loud. Especially on gameday.