Learning Project,  Week 8

If Happy Ever Afters Did Exist

If my title reeled you in again, I am happy you fell for it and welcome back! This week was delightful for my guitar skills. I am starting feel competent at something musical. I did have to enlist in some help this week from a few family members: my sister, Danica, and my cousin, Madison. They both have played the guitar and/or had lessons for quite some time now.

Resources used this week:

Breaking up the skills

This week I decided to start to pick (pun intended) away at the skills involved to play the song. I started with the strumming pattern then worked on the plucking pattern.

Strumming Pattern

Plucking Pattern

I literally feel so much progress from this week’s practice and I am thrilled to keep going! Let me know what you think of my progress! I am slow but I know the notes – I close my eyes and I see myself doing it on the guitar!

After speaking with my sister, she said I chose too hard of a song but that has not deterred my motivation to play a Maroon 5 song by the end of this course!

I am struggling to read chords properly. I see what notes that are being played during the song and sometimes they are way too difficult for me. They also show me where they are played but I cannot connect where and how to strum the strumming pattern. It is extremely frustrating and I would love to find some other resources to help read these types of things.

Other resources for learning guitar:

• Artist works – this is a paid subscription and I have not tried it but it looks like it is at least equal with Fender Play
  • JamPlay – very similar to Fender Play and Artist Works

Keep following along for more progress!

Hi there, I am a new mom and am a 2nd-year teacher. I pushed through 2020 by hitting the most milestones during a pandemic - we bought a house, got married, and had a baby! I left my last teaching job, in Alberta, just prior to the pandemic and thankfully moved home to Regina, SK before the provinces were shut down. Now that it is 2021 and I have a new baby, I am making use of this down time and being stuck at home - I started my path towards a certificate in extended studies in Secondary Mathematics.