EC&I 830

Tech-Enhanced Teaching: A Day in the Life of a Connected Educator

Personal Life
In my personal life, I start the day by checking social media apps like Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook. These platforms help me stay connected with friends and family, follow trends, and get inspiration for creative projects. I often use Canva to design posters, social media posts, and other graphics, which helps me personally and professionally. Whether sharing moments on Instagram stories or creating engaging content for TikTok, these apps are a significant part of my daily routine. I also use X, formerly Twitter, to stay engaged in the Education community, where I share insights, learn from others, and keep up with the latest trends and discussions.

Teaching Life
My day as a teacher is deeply intertwined with technology. I use various digital tools to enhance my students’ learning experience and streamline my workload. Here’s a breakdown of how I integrate these tools into my day:

1. Kahoot and Blooket: These interactive platforms are my go-to for engaging students fun and competitively. I often start the class with a quick quiz or game on Kahoot to review previous lessons or introduce new concepts. Blooket is another favourite for its versatility and how it gamifies learning, keeping students excited and involved.

2. EduAide and Goblin Tools: These AI-powered tools make planning and managing my course load more manageable. EduAide helps me create lesson plans, find resources, and even grade assignments efficiently. Goblin Tools assist with organizing tasks, setting reminders, and ensuring I stay on top of all my responsibilities. I really like the ability to have student utilize a step-by-step process for completing assignments/tasks in a way they understand.

3. Spotify for Podcasters, formerly Anchor: I always provide this as an option for student’s to show their learning. I found it easy to create and share podcasts with me and their peers using this app.

Interactions with Students and Colleagues
Connecting with students and colleagues is seamless, thanks to various email and messaging apps, specifically Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Outlook. These platforms are essential for staying in touch with colleagues, scheduling meetings, and discussing school-related matters.

Balancing Personal and Professional Life
Balancing my personal and professional life involves strategically using technology to manage time effectively. I set aside specific hours for individual activities and disconnected from work-related tasks during these times. Utilizing digital tools helps me stay organized and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

In summary, my day involves leveraging technology for both personal enjoyment and professional efficiency. Technology plays a pivotal role in my daily routine, from engaging students with interactive platforms to staying connected with loved ones through social media.

Hi there, I am a full-time high school mathematics teacher in Saskatchewan. I am also a single mom to my daughter, Ardann. I am currently taking my Masters of Adult Education and Human Resources through the University of Regina. My long-term goal is to teach at the University of Regina, in a Mathematics course. I keep busy playing volleyball in a competitive women's league twice a week, coaching the senior girls' volleyball team in my school, and doing activities with my daughter. I have a love for art as well, which is practiced by drawing intricate chalk art outside for my daughter or her favourite characters on my iPad.

• Aradhana Sapru

An enjoyable read!! I also use various apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter!! As a long proponent of tech in Education, I use Elevate, Prodigy, and a smart Board!! It is good to hear that you want to teach at U of R!!