Philosophies

Truth and Reconciliation

To learn about the treaties and unfulfilled promises was a tough subject for me to learn, mostly because until taking classes at the University of Regina I was uneducated on the subject and confused about our Canadian history. I never received much Treaty Education growing up, and was unfamiliar about the ways of knowing and teachings of Indigenous Peoples. As a person who has Indigenous heritage through a Metis grandfather, it hurt to find out just how little I knew about that part of my family history. So for my truth and reconciliation philosophy, I have made it my goal to let no student leave my classroom with the same misunderstandings I had through most of my education. I believe that what I have learned abut Treaty Education in university is not just so that I am informed, but so that I can pass the teachings and truths to all of my students. One of my main goals is to be able to teach my students more about the truths of residential schools and their impacts on survivors and their descendants. I believe the consequences that the residential schools caused is a major problem in our society, and one I hope to make a positive impact on my teaching my students.