Navigating the Digital Landscape: Exploring My Tech Habits

May 15, 2024 1 By Brodie Ziegler

As we all know technology has become a huge part of our everyday lives – it is impossible to escape the influence of technology. From the moment we wake up to the time we go to bed, our lives are intertwined with digital tools and platforms. In today’s blog I am going to delve into my personal tech habits and the way it is used in my daily life.

Technology In My Daily Life

In the modern era, technology permeates every aspect of our lives, shaping how we communicate, learn, work and unwind. My daily routine revolves around digital tools and platforms. Without technology I would have no idea how to contact/communicate with the people in my life. We do not realize how lucky we are to have the technology we do right at our fingertips.

For academic pursuits, I utilize websites like Google, YouTube, Zoom, UR Courses, etc., without these platforms my University classes would be next to impossible to do. I really like that the University of Regina offers online classes as it helps me balance my life a little more. I am able to work more often and it is nice being able to do classes at my own leisurely time. Without the use of Zoom or educational sites like UR Courses, these opportunities would not be available.

Next, using technology for leisure and a social front. My most used app would definitely be Snapchat as this is what I use the most to stay connected with my friends. I also find myself using social apps like Instagram, Facebook and a big one – TikTok. Although these apps cause me to be on my phone for longer periods of time then I probably should be, they also give me the opportunity to relax and connect with the people in my life.

Technology Used to Stay Organized

The main piece of technology that I use to stay organized is my calendar on my phone. I love that it also syncs with my computer so I have my calendar in 2 places. I have tried using a paper calendar but I find the electronic version more useful as I have my phone with me all the time. This calendar is used to track due dates for school, appointments, plans and so much more! Another piece of tech that I use to keep myself organized is file explorer on my laptop. I like to make individual folders for each of my university classes as this keeps my classes organized and is easy for me to find assignments.

A platform that was introduced to me through my job at McDougall Auctioneers is called Monday.com. This platform keeps the corporate office extremely organized. Each employee has their own board and tasks to do underneath their names. This tool keeps the business running and the employees on task!

Tech-Related Distractions & Balancing Screen Time

Despite the numerous benefits of technology, it also can have an affect on productivity. Often times I will catch myself scrolling through TikTok videos instead of focusing on my academic responsibilities. I sometimes do not even realize how long my phone distracted me for and an hour will have passed by. In order to fix this particular tech-related distraction I have downloaded the Stay Focused app on my phone (screenshotted pic on the left). By downloading this app I believe it will benefit my work ethic and also limit my screen time.

Between work, leisure time and academic work I feel like I am constantly looking at a screen. My work is in an office and I work at a computer for 8 hours of my day. Then I come home and often catch myself sitting on my phone as leisure time. After supper, I will then be on my laptop working on school. The screen time I want to reduce is the time I spend on social apps on my phone. I found the video below and thought it had great information on how to reduce screen time!

Overall, technology plays a significant role in shaping our daily routines both personally and academically. I believe we just need to make sure we are using it properly and to our benefit!