I love who I have been, but I really love who I am becoming -- Dulce Ruby

AI-ssential Tools

This week we were challenged to explore an AI tool and reflect on how it could be used in the classroom.  My learning project for this semester has been me learning to use a variety of AI tools specifically designed for teachers.  In keeping with that learning, I opted to check out a tool I had seen mentioned but hadn’t had a chance to try yet, Diffit.  

@msgreeneedu

Diffit is the best AI for teachers. It can generate so many resources that are differentiated! teachersoftiktok teacher edtechteachers

♬ original sound – Ms. Greene Edu

Diffit is an AI powered tool that helps teachers to differentiate a variety of reading activities in the classroom.  Teachers can choose to generate resources directly from any text or excerpt by copy and pasting or uploading a pdf, from a video or online article by providing the URL or from “literally anything” by providing a topic, theme or question and letting AI do it all.  The program is free for teachers to use, however there are some features that are part of the premium package which you have free trial access to for 60 days after creating your account.

The program allows teachers to generate activities such as an adapted reading passage, vocabulary lists, summaries and test questions at the reading level and/or language that best suits individual students’ abilities allowing us to individualize our lessons to maximize student success without adding hours of extra work.  Diffit can also support English as an additional language (EAL) learners by allowing them to complete their assignments in the language they are most familiar with and use any text or excerpt function to translate their work into English for submission.

One question I had while I was experimenting with this tool was about potential copyright infringement with being able to upload articles, videos or copy and paste text into Diffit.  The CMEC Copyright, Fair Dealing and the Classroom presentation may provide some guidance in determining what teachers can and can not use in AI tools, and the Fair Dealings Tool can provide a quick reference.  Personally, as much as I loved the features that Diffit offered, I would definitely want more clarification from my district regarding possible concerns before using it with copyrighted content.

AI tools such as Diffit are becoming more and more common and can play a valuable and vital role in our classrooms by making it easier for teachers to differentiate and adapt resources to better meet the needs of all learners without adding to an already excessive workload.  AI programs should be used as a tool to enhance our teaching and learning resources, rather than relied on as the sole source of information.  What are your thoughts on AI in the classroom?

1 Comment

1. Lauren Buist

Hi Cheryl,
    I love that this online tool allows teachers to differentiate! Differentiating for our students needs is so necessary and I am so glad that there is a tool out there to help provide support to teachers who may need it!