I have been using the myfitnesspal app as the main platform for my project. Its main purpose is to track caloric intake and expenditure. Being three weeks into using the app, I thought this would be a good time to give my initial thoughts on strengths and weaknesses of the platform. Hopefully this will be useful information for anyone considering using this type of app.
- Easy to navigate and user friendly – both the app and website are easy to navigate. Tabs and pages that you use most often are easy to find and learn how to use.
- The website and app sync immediately.
- Ability to connect to a variety of fitness watches to track steps and calculate caloric expenditures.
- Easy to navigate food and exercise diary – as you can see below it gives you a breakdown of the foods you have eaten and gives you updates on your daily progress. It is very easy to add and search for foods.
- Food inventory – I don’t think I’ve found a food yet that hasn’t already been entered with accurate nutritional information.
- Breakdowns of nutrients – options to select which nutrients you want broken down and displayed (i.e. carbs, fats, sugar, sodium…).
- Graphs and visuals to track progress – available with Premium subscription at what I thought was a reasonable price.
- When you submit each day’s diary it tells you how much you would weigh in the future if every day were like that day – this is a great motivator to stick with your plan and goals
- Unit conversions – many food items are entered in grams or ounces. I usually picture amounts in cups when estimating how much I ate (no, I don’t measure everything precisely!)
- When entering strength training workouts it asks you to enter specific exercises that you did. This isn’t practical when doing a 30 minute workout that might include 15+ different exercises. I have been entering my strength training workouts under the cardiovascular as a result.
There is so much more to this app that I have to explore. There is a community section and blog section that I have no explored at all. For a first time user, I am very impressed with it so far!