Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye

“Goodbye my friendGIF by Leroy PattersonI know you’re gone, you said you’re goneBut I can still feel you hereIt’s not the endGotta keep it strong”

~Spice Girls

Conclusion

I may now have 1000 more questions about understanding trauma, its effects on children, and how I can become an effective trauma sensitive teacher; what continues to remain ever so true when combining my knowledge of behavior and my new knowledge of best practices regarding trauma is that all behavior is communication and I just need to learn the language.

I have learned so much in this class that continues to help evolve my teaching pedagogy to become a more informed proactive teacher. I am happy to say that my pendulum has moved some with how I deal with behaviours when I know trauma is the driving force. I still struggle definitely and have internal battles with myself on how to proceed but I learned to approach things slightly differently. I am like a timid rabbit entering into an open field still unsure if what I am doing is the right way, I don’t want to cause more harm than good, or encourage a behavior by reinforcing it but hey a happy, healthy child is always the goal!

Cheers!

parkour goodbye GIF by Red BullChristine

(A Trauma Sensitive Teacher)

Classroom Diagram

Here you will find my classroom diagram. My space allows for multiple spaces for students to work, small group instruction, visual schedules, visual labels throughout the room, student novels and picture books of all different levels and interests, space for teacher or EA support, movement areas, differential seating (most students have chairs, other will have adapted seating such as a large ball or elastic bands around the chairs- these adaptations are all based on needs), the white board has been particularly useful this year when needing to write down explicit instructions, and a moveable tv that connects to the teacher iPad where many of my lessons occur. On the walls you will find the alphabet in upper and lower case, anchor charts to support reading and writing strategies we learn in grade 4, secret stories posters, a clock, and a cross. On the students desks there are differentiated name plates that suitable for the different learners in my room that match their personal academic needs along with login information for their online accounts. At the back of the room I have two hand sanitizer bottles that are used when students need to use the washroom (no need to ask, after training they use it during “good times” and can leave whenever needed; I particularly like my non gender specific inclusive picture that I have wrapped around the sanitizers.

De Escalation Form

Having an open conversation with a student is vitally important about understanding how they feel or what they want when it comes to their situations. Giving students their voice back is a strategy many of the readings within this class presented and this is a way to give them some proactive power. I love this person centered approach. I have included the direct link to the article with the forms found on pages 7-9.

PDF_ETIC

Ain’t Nothin’ Gonna Break My Stride, Nobody Gonna Slow Me Down, Oh No I Got To Keep On Moving

Teacher Wellness

This topic has to be at the forefront when designing a trauma sensitive classroom. Teachers

What Makes Teaching So Stressful? Thoughts from a Former Teacher Turned Career Coach - Teachers In Transition
https://teachersintransition.com/teacher-stress/teacher-stress

are proud individuals (well Ok, I am but we have already established this in another post). Over the course of my career the sacrifices I have made and continue to make, I consciously know are affecting me physically and emotionally and also sadly impacting my family. I am this picture and I know I am. Just sit with that for a moment. I know I am, my kids know I am, my husband tells me I am.

I typically can keep my anxiety at bay and they typically happen once my mind begins to settle at night. WAIT… WAIT… I GET IT Oh My Word… sorry for the squirrel moment BUT I get why a student may become more agitated during my classroom meditation… when I try to decompress and slow my brain down from the day that is when the anxiety creeps in; I can see why the agitation. Hello light bulb and connection moment. This just helped me build empathy…

anyways although my anxiety tends to creep in at night there has been moments when I have experienced anxiety attack at school that have consumed me. Not cool… In the moments afterwards I cannot figure out the exact trigger or reason for heightening but I can only assume that it is because of the balancing facade I put on. I know I take on a lot and fill my plate so its pouring over the side and my feet try to catch the falling parts, some are caught and some things fall (usually in secret). So when it comes to teacher wellness, there are a few things I have learned throughout this very particular year. It started when I signed up for a class called “Healthy School Leadership” this summer, Reg Leidl said, this should be the goal and in this order: Happy, Healthy Children” and in order to have that you must have “Happy, Healthy Teachers” first. I learned that we need to learn to take things off our plate and that was an exit slip as you may call it, a last and personal assignment, what will be the one thing you will take off your plate this year to help you with your personal wellness. I chose 2 things and I have stuck to one of them and it is making a huge difference already. I chose to not coach basketball this year, to reduce the amount of extra curricular hours and activities I sign up for. The second plan was to reduce my contract to 80% this year so that I can find balance between work, university, and home life; allowing myself one day to complete the jobs I needed to whether it was laundry or school work and then opening up the opportunity to be able to dedicate time to my family on the weekend without feeling the pressure of my other obligations. In addition to those plans I have also been making a very conscious choice to put my physical health at the forefront by eating nutritionally and being physically active.

“Happy, Healthy Teachers”

So why have I wasted all this time talking about this, well Craig (2016), has an entire section dedicated to teacher wellness and how secondary trauma, burnout,  and compassion fatigue are a very real thing if left unattended too. So how can we create or work towards a teacher resilience?  There are some resilient practices that are offered that that gives suggestions on what I can do in addition to the changes that I am already working on.

How To Deal with Stress Guide. Depression Reduce Stock Vector - Illustration of management, laugh: 130808779

Coping Strategies

• Have good problem solving strategies
  • Seek out and use social supports
  • transform difficult situations into learning opportunities
  • remain objective
  • be flexible
  • Do not personalize situations

Self Regulation

• Monitor ones own internal state
  • become aware of my own physical and emotional reactions
  • Respond thoughtfully
  • regulate my emotions and behavior
  • practice mindfulness

Other Strategies I can use suggested by Craig (2016):

• build self confidence
  • keep efficacy journal
  • continue my education
  • use a trauma sensitive lens
  • use purposeful interactions

Resources for Responding to Violence and Tragedy article (link posted below) also offered some ways for teachers to work on their emotional support:

Build a community of support- Teachers need support from other adults to process their emotions.

Try visualization exercises- Try visualizing your worries as a big boulder and then visualize yourself pushing it away or to picture myself loading my troubles into a canoe and pushing it downstream. Another visualizing technique that I learned from somewhere was to picture all the worries in a red balloon and then let the balloon go and watch it float away.

Take care of your physical needs- Make a special effort to feed your body good nutritious food, get a minimum of 8 hours sleep, and create a good exercise routine. Maintaining regular routines has help me feel that I am in more control and has created a sense of security.

Seek help if necessary- “It’s perfectly normal to be upset in the days and weeks following a tragedy. But if your feelings of distress linger for more than a month, or if you’re having difficulty meeting your usual obligations, it may be time for professional help. Find out what kind of assistance is available through your school’s Employee Assistance Program, or schedule an appointment with a mental health professional.”

Image
https://twitter.com/theawkwardyeti/status/1395728905349341184

Other Resources for Further Reading that discuss teacher burnout in Saskatchewan and Canada:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.689628/full

https://theconversation.com/provinces-should-act-fast-to-avert-a-teacher-shortage-now-and-after-covid-19-154930

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/teacher-shortage-may-be-on-the-horizon-after-stressful-year-researcher

Resources Used In Blog:

https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/home-page-logged-out/resources-for-responding-to-violence-and-tragedy.html?eml=CM/20220525///txtl/smd

Whenever, Where Ever, We’re Meant To Be Together

Creating Connections 

Enough Is Enough Gun GIF by Us Kids Film

Children who currently are or have had experienced trauma will feel a sense of disconnect from others, causing a sense of isolation. Therefore they will then lack the abilities to make positive connections with others and interventions may need to be required. Craig (2016), suggests that there be a multifaceted approach covers 3 main areas:

• Reestablishing adults are safe
  • Teaching Social Skills
  • Service Learning

Reestablishing Adults as Safe

Students need to begin to feel that I am a reliable source to go to and that I will maintain an appropriate level of standards and expectations based around what I know about their emotional and behavioral needs and that I can be a person who will help guide them towards regulation. I hope to offer to my students that I can be a person who they can be comfortable enough in asking for help to navigate their feelings, or struggles with relationships. Let’s also be so real right now…this is easier for me with some students and not so easy with others; that is just something I need to work on; being emotionally available to all my students not just to the ones that don’t annoy me or get under my skin. Let’s face it I am human!

Teaching Social Skills

How I see this happening in my classroom will go and can go 3 different ways depending on the needs of my classroom. I do see the benefit in teaching all students social skills as a collective but there are going to be times where a more explicit and direct approach is needed in smaller groups or 1:1 situations. So thinking back to the 3 tier system of interventions and working in a proactive way this could happen during my morning meetings, the wellness coach coming in to teach the class about mindfulness (tier 1), small groups at my c-table with me or my educational assistant within the classroom or in a another room pending the activity that we are doing (I would not want to draw attention to my social skills group in the classroom and potentially have them embarrassed because we are specifically role playing or something of that nature (tier 2), and then there would last intervention in this area and that could be the schools Student Support Services Teacher/Wellness Coach/School Psychologist having to work more specifically with a student or a small group of students outside my room. These are already things I have put into place this year in my classroom; specifically targeting social skills, I know we naturally talk about social skills but I have usually done it in a more fluffier type way; this year it has been more intentional and explicit, probably because I am also teaching my health curriculum this year and it is tied to outcomes.

Service Learning 

I really like this idea, like really like this. What a great way to empower a child by giving them a way to make a positive contribution to the community; even better that is can possibly help restore their resilience or adaptive capacity, increase their own self care, and to care for others. The message is so powerful. they have a purpose, they are not worthless, they can pursue meaningful things in their lives. The MOMENT I read this part of Craig (2016), I knew I had to give this a go! You know what? I found out that my little peanut loves do jobs. So I saw an opportunity, him and I created a list of all the jobs he would like to do around the school/classroom, he was excited. This intervention worked, he came into the school without an issue, grabbed his cleaning supplies and rag and off he went cleaning the desks in multiple classrooms. He was so proud of himself, he asked if he could stay in and do it at recess to finish off the rest of the rooms. Brilliant, nailed it, found something that will work! It worked for that one day and that one day only… Now even though it worked for one day, I have a list created of possible acts of service he can do that when in the right frame of mind or when he may need a “change the channel” moment (I learned this courtesy of Nathalie).

Humans I believe need connections and therefore we need each other, people will connect with others for negative reasons and others positive. My hope is that I can be a person where when children enter into my classroom whether it is for that school year or for years to come I can create a space where they can see me as safe, see me as a role model, know they can make mistakes, fail, and fall but I will always be there to lend them a hand to get up and try again.

Until next time… Whenever, Where Ever, Humans are meant to be together…

Pass It On Falling In Love GIF by Barbara Pozzi

I Know You Have Mountains To Climb, Don’t Hold a Grudge or A Chip and Here’s Why, Bitterness Keeps You From Flyin, Always Stay Humble and Kind

Restorative Justice 

Now I am not gonna lie to you because that would not be kind but Craig (2016) book uses

Human Rights Heart GIF by Creative Couragethe term restorative discipline and I don’t really love the term discipline when we are discussing being a trauma sensitive classroom, so I am going to use the term justice as I always have. I absolutely loved that restorative justice is an approach that supports a trauma sensitive classroom/school. For years I have been using this practice and I feel very confident in seeing the strengths it offers to all children when needing to repair a relationship that is needing to be mended. Even once my students have left my classroom and if there is ever an issue that I need to deal with on the playground, these students all know and seem to respect how I deal with such conflicts, everyone is heard, everyone has a voice.

Craig (2016), discusses that trauma sensitive schools need to have a restorative approach especially with children who have experienced trauma as the research within her book expresses that they (including all other children) need to learn the social skills that strengthen relationships. This is also imperative for children to use this approach even with the adults in the building. Similar to how I already resolve conflict, Craig (2016), offers these suggestions: “affective statements, asking affective questions, and actively listening to what others have to say” (p. 80). Using classroom meetings is a great opportunity to teach the restorative approach by offering lessons in role playing, scripted dialogue, creating respect agreements, classroom beliefs, t-charts about what  respect sounds and looks like, Zones of Regulation, the opportunities here are endless and I have included some resources in the teacher section. Also having a work table or a peace table where children can go to discuss situations slightly independently (but within earshot of a teacher), a place where students can work together on projects, allow for flexible groups, etc would be beneficial to a classroom.

To quote Craig (2016), “Whichever techniques are selected, the goal is always the same: to teach children that relationships can be repaired and old wounds healed when the goal is restorative” (p. 81).

If I Lay Here, If I Just Lay Here, Would You Lie With Me and Just Forget The World? I Don’t Quite Know How To Say, How I Feel…

Mindfulness 

https://www.mindful.org/10-ways-to-define-mindfulness/

Ooooooh mindfulness how I have resisted teaching you for SO long! I have heard about it for years and have had school counsellors come in and teach students about mindfulness and every single time I have dreaded the when the rotation came around and it was my classes turn; what an absolute waste of time. Seriously, this is (well was) my mentality about it. I did not even listen to the lessons that was been given to my students, didn’t note the changes in behaviors, I just took it as extra prep time but stayed in my classroom. Now before you get the pitchforks out and find me in little old Moose Jaw know that my thoughts on teaching mindfulness have evolved into a deeper understanding, and a purpose; who knew that all I needed was a little class on trauma to make me go “Ahhh, now I get it”…

So here it is… what I have learned about mindfulness and how I have began to dabble with it in my room this year; thanks to the living library assignment.

In Craig (2016), chapter 6 Nature’s Second Chance it was explained humans have this amazing gift that the brain’s plasticity can repair itself when children are taught how to be mindful. Teachers can use mindfulness techniques to teach children to detect their internal and external experiences, particularly in, “how they feel, what bodily sensations they are aware of, and what they are thinking about…they learn to distinguish between who they are (the self) and what they are experiencing” (p. 77). When a child can be able to differentiate their self from their feelings this becomes a critical step in them becoming successful in obtaining emotional regulation, ultimately allowing them to think before they act and reducing the impulses.  Craig (2016), revealed to me that teaching mindfulness can be easily integrated into my classroom and that it would not take a lot of time like mini check ins, and breath breaks.

Wallace & Lewis (2020), also provided information to me throughout this course specifically related to mindfulness, “mindfulness activities help reduce stress, help with self regulation, increase self-awareness, create stronger bonds in relationships and build a good foundation upon which social skills grow” (p. 170).

So with those Wallace & Lewis (2020) and Craig (2016), recommendations and knew found knowledge in mind I began to implement some strategies into my classroom. I first decided to use Wallace and Lewis’s mindfulness and mediation activities found in chapter 7, this included a quick script and a “quick” art activity afterwards. I had a few bumps throughout my experience but saw some great strides with my students at the same time. The first bump was the length of time it took for students to find a comfortable position whether it was at their desk, laying on a yoga mat on the ground, sitting on the floor etc. I found the script to be quite quick and lacked the real ability to let kids calm their minds (so I would add in a many more breaths or improvise by adding extra detail; I did this from my own personal experience with meditation and with what Nathalie has done in out class), once the meditation was over I asked kids to go straight to their desks and begin their artwork. Now, some art was unbelievably fast and well others took up to 15 minutes or more. I engaged with this practice every day for multiple weeks but did not see a change in  its quickness.  However I did see with most students a readiness for the day that was not there before, a stillness, a brain that was ready to focus. Something else that was new to me was I had this idea in my head that, mindfulness was a great strategy for everyone, especially my student(s) who have experienced(ing) trauma, that this would be a great “fix all” strategy… girl I was wrong! Using mindfulness strategies actually did the exact opposite to my one student and sent him into a trauma reactive state. I thought maybe over time this would change but unfortunately it did not so for the pure sake of the child I have stopped using mindfulness in the same way I was using it and have branched into other areas or will engaged with it when he is not in the room.

Where will I go next with mindfulness? Well I am not done yet. I may not be using meditation right at the moment (I plan to in the future if we get to the right place this year but most definitely I would like to try again each year going forward). Instead I am working on the Big Life Journals that you will find in the teacher resources section, using the MindUp Curriculum, teaching and using the practice of restorative justice (which I will blog about later), and taking opportunities to practice mindfulness myself. I will also now be much more open, responsive, and attentive the next time the Wellness Coach comes into the classroom to teach about healthy minds so I can continue to grow in this area.

WOULD YOU LIE WITH ME & JUST FORGET THE WORLD? Poster | nikton | Keep Calm-o-Matic
https://keepcalms.com/p/would-you-lie-with-me-just-forget-the-world/

Wallace, K. O., & Lewis, P. J. (2020). Trauma Informed Teaching through Play Art Narrative. BRILL.

Craig, S. (2016). Trauma Sensitive Schools Learning Communities Transforming Children’s Lives, K-5. Teachers College Press.

Lean on me. When you’re not strong. And I’ll be your friend. I’ll help you carry on. For it won’t be long. Till I’m gonna need somebody to lean on… A Team Approach

Hello Pride… Yes you…I see you…  Swallow your pride occasionally, it's not fattening!!! – 8wdee

This is an area I need to work on. I am a team player. I will help whenever, where ever someone needs me BUT when I need help I tend to just suffer on my own. I cannot be seen as someone who does not have the answer, well that, that is just embarrassing. Hello and insert pride. It isn’t always pride sometimes I think people just assume because I “appear” to have it together and that I have my inclusive ed certificate that I can just handle all things on my own. I have been told, “you know what you are doing, you don’t need me, you got this cased, etc” but in reality I just keep swimming, trying so hard just to keep my head above the water while ensuring no student drowns in the process.

Yes I have a skill set, yes I worked with some incredibly diverse students for half of my career but that does not mean I always have the answers or I can always

handle things on my own without support. This year I for the first time in a long time have reached out and said I cannot do this alone, this child needs more than I can provide. This is where I really appreciated Craig (2016), implementation of the tier system and suggestions for what should occur at each level of intervention.

Tiered System of Support for Trauma Sensitive Classrooms and Schools (cause this goes further than just the classroom)

Lets begin with a definition so that I can understand what each level is and is not according to Craig (2016).

Tier 1- Is universal, usually is based around best practices around instruction at children’s level, positive behavior support, and following what is deemed developmentally appropriate instruction and language.

Team Support Ideas Business Concept Stock Image - Image of interior, occupation: 85089351

Tier 2- Usually still provided within the classroom and typically occurs in small groups. These groups are usually lead by a teacher or educational assistant. The groups are skills based and can include areas such as stress management and social skill teaching.

Tier 3- Happens outside of the classroom by an educational specialist not an educational assistant, someone like our Student Support Services Teacher, Wellness Coach, or psychologist. The ratio is usually 1:1 and the intervention should occur daily for a short amount of time. This level should be activated for when a child or children is going through an emotional crisis.

** Children should be able to move throughout the tier levels as their circumstances change or they become better at regulating their behaviors and emotions.

Tier 1 Interventions: The goal is to provide, “self awareness, self management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible problem solving” (Craig S. 2016, p. 68). This will come from direct instruction in those areas.

• teacher physical proximity (that is non threatening)
  • redirecting attention away from frustration task to a more preferred task (giving ample time to switch)- this is one that I struggle with personally because I think “what if I do this and then I reinforce the behavior”
  • set personal goals at beginning of task and at the end have them assess their progress

Tier 2 Interventions: The interventions at this level are “designed  to reduce children’s level of arousal to pre-trauma levels of cognitive processing, executive functioning, behaviour and performance…interventions that soothe the limbic or emotional area of the brain, while restoring children’s ability to participate in bonding relationships with adult” (Craig S. 2016, p. 68).

• occur in small group
  • music and movement are helpful
  • predictable routines and stress soothing techniques of self regulation
  • deep breathing (ex. birthday candles)
  • yoga
  • use playfulness as a way to engage and teach
  • role playing
  • teach social skills
  • teach empathy and acceptance
  • conflict resolution

Tier 3 Interventions: This stage is used when children need support in the initial control of their emotions. This will would be a more intense intervention that requires more frequency and duration in support that occurs outside of the classroom teacher. The classroom teacher in this intervention is usually only collaboration in nature.

• short, repetitive, predictable interactions (p. 70).
  • rhythmic movement
  • drumming
  • sustained eye contact
  • sensory integration
  • cognitive behavioral therapy
  • occupational therapist
  • music therapist
  • school psychologists
  • social workers

Show Me The Meaning of The Teacher’s Role… Is This The Feeling of Good Teaching?

I Love You Win GIF by The Academy AwardsChapter 5 in Susan Craigs Trauma Sensitive Schools asked me to look at and examine the way I design my classroom and how it meets best practices with children’s neurodevelopment.  In order to enhance children’s development I need to first begin with establishing a positive relationship, extend the physical aspects, and set the emotional tone of the classroom (p. 61). This I believe is key for all students at I typically set up my relationships and expectations right off at the beginning of the year. Craig (2016), elaborates that it is crucial for teachers to help students regulate their feelings, behavior, build self esteem, have high expectations but scaffold so that students are successful, set goals, and to create a zone of comfort.

First off I need to change my language before I even begin and intentionally work towards being better, as I read texts the term “traumatized children or child” is used. Personally I do not think we should be labelling them as such just like we do not label children as an autistic child, we say a child who has autism, so in the same way I would like to make an effort to say a child who has experienced trauma. Person first!

So how do we (meaning me) do this? Well…

Customize instruction

Differentiated instruction is like peanut butter and jelly to me, it just is something that is natural and what I do. I will meet the child where they are at and be flexible enough to create a plan where the child will be successful. Under trauma sensitive differentiated instruction Craig (2016), offers 3 neural networks that accompany learning: recognition network, strategic network, and affective network. Furthering my understanding of the kind of differentiated instruction someone with trauma may need I investigated further in how I could best support in these 3 areas.

Recognition Network “What of Learning”–  Children who have experienced trauma tend to miss out on key information or content when it is being presented to them in class as they are paying more attention to my tone, my facial expressions, and my body language. I need to be more aware of this especially when I am reading; I tend to get right into books and read with expression, pizazz as you may say, with a tad bit of excitement. I can see how what I am reading and hoping a child would get out my production could be hindered by the delivery. It is going to be up to me to ensure the “what” is delivered to them in a more clear manner with maybe less of the pizazz or keeping the what is needed to be learned in the forefront of my mind more directly.

Strategic Network “How of Learning”– This section Craig (2016), discussed how children plan, perform, organize, and express their ideas. This area of the child’s brain, the executive functioning in extremely compromised as children are often in a heightened chronic state of hyperarousal and it affects their ability to pay attention and their working memory. Many times children will act then think, or give up easily when a task is too challenging or is fairly new.  Oh how I failed here this week… I needed to build up capacity (even though I thought I did), teach a child to think strategically, and to scaffold, scaffold, scaffold. Tools that were suggested were word banks, number lines, calculators, and predictive software (p. 64). Children also need to have explicit instruction. I typically run guided math where I have the opportunities to build on the close student-teacher collaboration and teach explicitly, assist where I see frustrations arise quickly, and adapt as needed. This can become tricky as we venture into other curriculum areas because I am not always available to assist specific individual students all the time; the other students in the classroom also need my attention. So I can see there would be a need for a delicate balance here.

Affective Network “Why/How of Learning“- This area involves knowing how to gain children’s attention, engage their interests, keep them engaged, and keep their effort. This however heavily relies on the teachers willingness to continuously keep instruction interesting so that the child’s interest and effort continues to be sustained. This also requires there to be conversations between the child and the teacher so that a child then becomes to understand that the adult/teacher is interested in them and willing to accommodate to their learning needs. A huge part of this is giving a student a voice. Craig (2016), provides ways that I can do this in my classroom, give positive feedback, praise their effort, offer choice making, and help set personal goals.

Safety is apart of the affective network, it is also my number one classroom belief. Above everything and anything within the walls of my classroom I care the most about the children’s safety. Craig (2016), states that a way I can support a student who has experienced trauma in the area of safety is to be predictable, have predictable classroom routines, visual schedules, calendars, charts, visual timers, and to ensure that if there is going to be a change in the day that I prepare them for such an event by letting them know about it to help them anticipate. This will help with emotional distress such as anxiety when things can be more predictable and a child can then focus more on classroom instruction.

Resources for Responding to Violence and Tragedy magazine article also laid on some important pieces that affirm many topics I have already discussed:

• be patient
  • set time aside for check ins
  • ensure the student has a person (even if it is not you) who they can talk to
  • have a plan for when a child needs to leave the room for a break
  • be available
  • ask questions
  • follow their lead
  • discussions should be at an age appropriate level
  • give students some leeway
  • provide reassurance

The Trauma Sensitive Teacher article by Susan Craig, writer of the Trauma Sensitive Schools book continues to showcase that “A child’s brain architecture changes as a result of trauma. These changes jeopardize children’s ability to direct their attention,regulate their emotions and behavior, and form positive relationships with teachers. However, with the right training and support,teachers can collaborate with these children in ways that help them move beyond past traumas and embrace the benefits of rich educational experiences”

Teachers can do this by:

1. forming positive relationships,Stream Wheel Of Awareness by Aquanimous Yoga Podcast | Listen online for  free on SoundCloud
  2. directing attention by establishing predictable and consistent routines,
  3. using visuals,
  4. giving notice to changes,
  5. developing lesson that follow a predictable format,
  6. giving prompts for when to pay attention,
  7. teach students to learn to control their emotions
  8. use of awareness wheel
  9. regulating emotions and behavior
  10. mindfulness
  11. meditation
  12. check ins
  13. self soothing activities
  14. easy access to non verbal stress busters (ex. figets)

I have included a direct link to the article being mentioned the trauma-sensitive teacher

Mental Health & Wellness for Catholic Schools: Feelings, Emotions, Resiliency and the Dignity of the Whole Person for grade 1, 3, 4, 6 and 8

This resource is a resource that I am positive my school division would be happy to know I would be using in my classroom, especially with the connections with our faith. This resource provides direct links to videos, matching activity worksheets, and provides a teacher with a great lesson plan all while promoting a trauma sensitive lesson, social emotional learning, mindfulness etc. I have provided a link to the pdf, as it is much too large to post.

http://www.eoccc.org/uploads/4/6/7/0/46705249/mental_health_for_catholic_schools_-_revised_march_2020_final.pdf