The Sun Shines on Everyone: Teaching Inclusion through Song and Kids Yoga

The Sun Shines on Everyone is a song by Snatam Kaur. It is often used in kids’ yoga practice. It is a nice song for adults to listen to as well. It contains a powerful message about inclusion. “The sun shines on everyone – it doesn’t make choices. When it rains – it rains on everyone – it doesn’t make choices.”  Teaching kids about inclusion: Let us just have love and acceptance of everyone. Of all of their beauty. Of…

Read More Read More

VidCode: Creative Coding – End Plastic Pollution!

I have heard the term – coding – so many times. Mostly it seems to be used by kids and younger adults. So what is it? According to Robo Wonderkind, coding is: “Code is the language of the 21st century. It’s what tells our computers, apps, websites, software, and products what to do and how to do it. It’s giving a computer a set of instructions and functions, so it does what we want it to do. These instructions are…

Read More Read More

Fake News: Read it, check it, wait

Fake News: Read it, check it, wait

Fake news is real. Fake news can be dangerous. Fake news can be elusive. Fake news is a threat.  Our class worked together to look at various websites to examine the credibility of the sources. Some questions we asked were: How neutral is this information provider? Is the information provided accurate or biased? Where does the funding for this site come from? Where does income generated from this site go? What could be some of the underlying motivators of this…

Read More Read More

Breathing with Bubbles – YouTube movie project using iMovie, Canva and Epidemic Sound

My learning project work continues this week! Here is the finished product: A few weeks ago, my dear friend Emily came by. I had asked her to help me explore some kids yoga practices with me and my two kids. In my learning project (kids yoga) one of the big insights I have had is this: Practicing yoga with kids is so much better with friends! In fact, having a high adult to child ratio when exploring yoga with kids…

Read More Read More

Monica L.’s Story, Digital Identity and Mental Health

I was touched and moved by this video. I appreciated the candidness of Monica’s sharing.  She said It had taken her many years to become ready to share her story. She said that she shares it in the hopes that it will help others. And she does it so she can be strong in her own truths. She said she was deeply affected by her online takedown, which occurred synonymously with the rise of social media. She suffered from the…

Read More Read More

In each other’s spaces: Digital Sleuthing exercise

For the class exercise, I snooped on my friend Rosalie. After this was complete, I gave her some feedback about her digital identity.  One of things that stood out to me was Rosalie was surprised  about some of the information that was available about her online. She simply was not aware that certain information was out there.   It’s just nice to know what is publicly available or not. But all too often, we do not take the time to figure…

Read More Read More

Breathe Like a Bear and Integrating Breathing Breaks For Kids

Breathing and meditation practices are wonderful for parents and educators to have in their toolbelt of resources Benefits of Breathing Breaks and Practice Ideas Breathe Like Bear! This is a great little practice guide for parents and educators: The book is available on Amazon here. Support for Parents and Educators Tips (Breathe Like Bear) Skim through the pages and find the ones that stand out to you Be ready to teach on the fly! Have an upset little one? Offer…

Read More Read More

Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

“…students are often not learning to be safe and responsible Internet users at home, so schools and teachers must make sure that students are acquiring these skills in the classroom; otherwise we are putting young people at risk.” -Page 7 “If we want students to be lifelong learners, they should see learning as something that can happen at any time, but by keeping technology out of the classroom, we send the message that school is separate from “real life.” ….Incorporating…

Read More Read More

Using iMovie in the Classroom: Ideas!

Using iMovie in the Classroom: Ideas!

Some ideas for using iMovie in the Classroom. And how does this fit in with the SAMR Model? As I read about ways to use iMovie in the classroom, I can’t help but think about some of my own ideas and inspirations for classroom learning. Use for collaborative learning Projects for kids to share their learning experiences with their parents (and classmates!) Telling Stories Helping kids to learn step by step processes Documenting classroom experiences Field trip videos! Doing a…

Read More Read More

Using iMovie: My first take!

Using iMovie: My first take!

Last weekend, I set out to use iMovie for the first time. I was nervous. I was born a perfectionist, but over time, my values have softened to becoming more realistic and gentle with myself in my own processes. However, I was definitely feeling my own internal pressure to make the first video as well as possible. After watching a few iMovie tutorials, and checking out some videos made using iMovie, I felt ready for my next steps. Set up…

Read More Read More