Watercolour update and a Timelapse Free review

A long overdue update on my watercolour learning project!

I’ve continued to make Valentine’s Day cards to mail to friends and family. Progress is going medium. For every card I share, there’s probably like three I have thrown out. Practice makes progress, I guess.

Is tomorrow Valentine’s Day? Yes! Have I mailed a single card? Absolutely not! People will get them when they get them, and I can always blame Canada Post for the delay (note: friends and family: do not read this blog!!!).

Most recently, I’ve been creating cards based on this example from @andrea.nelson.art on Instagram, where you use marker to draw out a heart and squiggly lines and then fill in with watercolours, creating a stained glass effect.

To document my process, I decided to a timelapse video using the mobile app TimeLapse-Free.

Overall, this app isn’t bad for something that’s free. Capturing video is easy for me as someone with little video experience, and the actual time lapse results were great. The app does include paid additions, however, in order to access the full editing experience. It stops recording after 15 seconds worth of time lapse footage, meaning I had to edit together three clips to make this video. It also does not allow you to edit together clips in the app without paying, so you need to export them to a different program to combine clips. Luckily it does allow you to save clips to your phone and I was able to edit them together using iMovie on my computer.

Overall rating: 3/5 stars

Pros:

Free

Available on iOS and Android

Takes good footage

Easy to use

Can export and save clips to other programs

Cons:

Max 15 seconds of footage without paying

Can’t edit in app

Crashes a lot

7 thoughts on “Watercolour update and a Timelapse Free review

1. Kylee

Hi Emily, I love the card you’re making in the video the stained glass effect looks awesome! I’ve never heard of the Timelapse app you used, so I appreciate the breakdown of your overall thoughts. I can’t wait to see more art updates!

Reply
  2. nenson1z

Emily,

I have always loved seeing time lapse videos! I see them all the time on social media and I have always had no idea how to make them. Thanks for the honest review on the app. While it is a cool concept, they could clean up the app. I’m excited to try it out myself to see what I think.
    Keep up the great work!

Zach Nenson

Reply
  3. Kendra Saworski

Your dedication to creating Valentine’s Day cards and documenting your watercolor learning journey is inspiring! It’s great to see your progress! The stained glass effect you’ve been experimenting with sounds fascinating, especially based on the example you found on Instagram. Your decision to create a timelapse video using TimeLapse-Free is a fantastic way to share your artistic process. It’s helpful to hear your thoughts on the app’s pros and cons, and your resourcefulness in using iMovie to edit your clips together. Keep up the fantastic work, and happy creating!

Reply
  4. Chantelle Turner

What a great way to capture your progress on your project! Your card turned out beautifully.
    Thank you for the honest review with the list of pros and cons to using the Timelapse app. The video is great and as someone who also doesn’t have much video experience, I thought your quick video was fantastic!
    Practice does make progress! Keep up the great work.

Reply
  5. Cheryl Bratton

I never thought to use a Time-lapse app before but love the idea. Your card looks amazing. As I was atching I was thinking of how relaxing this project could be.

Reply
  6. Paige

Hi Emily, I like the timelapse idea thats so quick! I like your cards too, that is such a kind idea! Hopefully you’ve gotten them mailed out now!

Reply
  7. Haylee

Hi Emily,
    Thanks for sharing and giving your thoughts on a time-lapse app. I never think of using a time-lapse video when recording something. Maybe in the next video that I have to make maybe I will do this. Also I really love your valentines cards that you have made. Just curious what is your inspiration on using this painting technique? Do you think that this is something could be use in schools?

Reply