Finishing Touches Before Baking

Throughout the week, I decided to change my research from online to Youtube videos. I wanted to branch out and still learn about the basics while also beginning to dig deep and come across the essentials. One common thing that I came across was that there is a huge difference in cooking vs. baking. As Jerico mentioned on my post last week, I wanted to indulge in this. Baking can be seen as more of a science where you can control the changing rates such as the rise and fall through salts and we can control the temperature.

In the next few days I plan to use my research and minimal prior knowledge to try and make a simple dish. Dishes that I hope to make within this learning process are:

• Rice Krispie Cake
  • Cupcakes (Vanilla and then proceed to chocolate)
  • Bigger dishes such as a cake
  • If all goes well, pastries.

Overall, I have learned a lot so far and look forward to showing you guys my initial progress for my next post!

This entry was posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Finishing Touches Before Baking

1. Jerico says:

Those are great choices for a beginner baker! I will say, however, if you plan to do pastries, be very particular about what type of pastry you’re going to make. Croissants seem pretty accessible, but can quickly turn into a gruelling nightmare. Pastries that are really flakey and light tend to be the same because they rely on butter and layers to achieve that flakiness. What the ends up meaning is lots of time being spent on cooling your dough and having to work quickly when it’s not in the fridge. Take this advice from someone who learned the hard way. I’ll make sure to keep up to date with your posts and help where I can!

• Evan Goodfellow says:

Hey Jerico,

I appreciate the advice and help! I watched a video in a different class that had a section involving pastries and oh man, it did look tough. After seeing that, I will forsure also take your word haha. That would forsure be something as i’ve progressed but it’s definitely a ways away in my learning process. Again, thank you for the advice and look forward to hearing from you again soon!

2. Zachary Hirshmiller says:

Thanks, Evan this is great. I have heard a similar description of baking vs. cooking. As I have heard, baking is a science, and cooking is an art. Which is surprising to me cause I am not artistic in the least bit but I like to believe I can cook decently well. I look forward to hearing how your baking goes, and maybe you’ll bring some to our EMTH 300 class????

• Evan Goodfellow says:

Hey Zach, thanks for the reply! I appreciate the trust in wanting me to bring some to EMTH… but I will unfortunately pass and keep practicing before I consider that, haha.