Week 1 Blog Posts

January 6/7, 2020

How does Kumashiro define ‘common sense’?

Kumashiro does not provide an exact definition of common sense but my take away is that common sense represents everyone’s day to day norms and realities. There is an abundance of different norms that everyone grows up with, making all people, societies, and cultures unique in regards to their common sense. When Kumashiro went to teach in a school in Nepal, the students and staff did not recognize his teaching methods, “It seemed that students and faculty already had clear ideas about what it meant to teach and learn, and my attempts to teach differently did not make sense” (XXXI). Common sense is used within the education system and it is very different for schools around the world and it used in accordance with the curriculum, i.e. it is common sense to be teaching and learning these subjects. Common sense in schools does not suggest what the schools could be doing, but rather suggest what the schools should be doing. Kumashiro also mentions that common sense can be very oppressive, “Common sense makes it easy to continue teaching and learning in ways that allow the oppressions already in play to continue to play out unchallenged in our schools and societies” (XXXVI). Since we are very familiar with our norms and common sense, we oftentimes fail to recognize that many actions can harm others. It is very important to recognize parts of our ‘common sense’ that may appear to be oppressive and challenge them to create a better place for all.

Why is it so important to pay attention to the ‘common sense’?

I think that it is important to pay attention to common sense because sometimes what you do or say could be oppressive to someone else. There are many different versions of what common sense means varying between different cultures and societies. I believe that there is no ‘right’ way to common sense or norms as everyone grows up and learns differently. I think that rather trying to change culture’s common sense, one should take the time to simply recognize and learn from others on how they view their version of common sense and norms.