Balance it! – Technology and Me

I can say that technology has impacted my behavior in both negative and positive ways. I use the WhatsApp platform most frequently in my leisure time to connect with friends and family. I particularly enjoy the FaceTime feature of this app. So, I begin my day with messaging and face calls to my family in Nigeria. I also spend time with my Gmail, checking my emails.

OneDrive is a file app for Microsoft 365 that I use that enables me to store, share, and sync my files. I can access all my shared content across Microsoft 365, inclusive of SharePoint and Microsoft Teams, in addition to my work files. I am also able to sync files and folders from shared libraries that I have access to within any organization. This helps me stay connected and productive. Another app I find very interesting is the Google Podcasts app. This is a free app to use for both listeners and podcasters. I can find, listen, and learn more about a topic of interest for free. I listen to podcasts for both leisure and educational purposes. It serves as stress relief, and entertainment and can supplement my education, making it easier to retain what I’m learning.  Google.com and youtube.com are websites  I explore every day for research and academic purposes. For leisure, I listen to songs on YouTube when I’m busy with house chores and when I’m bored. There’s so much I can explore on these sites.

At one point, I realized how addicted I was to Facebook. The comments just keep coming and I feel obliged to respond. You can imagine what it is like responding to 200+ comments on a post. Yes, I do feel exhausted but there’s this one thing about addiction, you just keep going. One day, my seven-year-old said to me, “Mom, I need that attention too.” These few words sank deep into me and that was the motivation that helped my decision to break free. Now, I’m able to manage this distraction and create a balance by simply making a general “THANKYOU” comment on my page. It serves me the time and stress of replying to everyone individually.

This entry was posted in EDTC300. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Balance it! – Technology and Me

1. Emma Metz says:

Inemesit,

I, too, absolutely love FaceTime features on apps such as WhatsApp and Messenger! These functions make it so easy to stay connected with friend, family, and/or coworkers whether in close proximity or across great distances. Something I am slowly warming up to is the world of podcasting! I want to listen to a good one, however, I have NO clue where to start. There are so many podcasts available it quickly gets overwhelming… like when I have to pick a movie from Netflix haha… I am not the most decisive when it comes to this stuff. Do you have a favorite podcast that you would recommend?

Thank you so much for sharing :)!

Emma

• Inemesit Ekaette says:

Hi Emma!
      I can relate to how it is with so many podcasts, but unsure which is quite interesting. I had the same challenges earlier until I discovered 50 Things That Made the Modern Economy with Tim Harford as the host. Unlike other podcasts, this is more like an epic documentary series. So, it’s not ongoing.
      You may want to check this out and I’m here if you need any form of assistance.