What A Discovery!

This week, I had to try out a new tool to record my learning so I decided to try the Wevideo app. This is an online video editing solution that can be accessed from any device. This app is simply amazing!

While using the Wevideo app I learned a few things like transitioning from one video to another and adding texts to videos. Wevideo is a free movie-making tool that is not complicated to use! You can edit your videos and use a few features within the app.

This app is designed to maximize productivity from start to finish. You can import photos, footage, or music clips from social media sites. You can also record using the app. Wevideo has drag-and-drop features and easy-to-use editing tools like trim, split, merge, and flip. Some other features you can use in the app include transitions, backgrounds, extras, text, audio, and images. The narrate button can be used to record your audio while the record button can be used to take a video of yourself. You can collaborate with as many collaborators as you want and are only limited by the number of members in the collaborative project. Wevideo also has a screen recorder, you can capture both your desktop and webcam at the same time using the premium feature.

There are some things I don’t like about this app. Wevideo automatically deletes your videos if a free or expired account is inactive for 90 days. This includes in-progress, finished videos, and uploaded media. Once content has been deleted there is no way to restore it. Another thing I dislike about the app is that you won’t be able to edit your videos if you finish and save your video to your account.

As an elementary teacher, I can plan a grade 5 class lesson using the Wevideo tool by making my students do a project about newscasting. To do this project I would let my students make a Wevideo presentation of them using the audio feature and adding a weather forecast background. The students would be split into groups and each of them would play their part as a different reporter like a commercial reporter, a weather forecaster, a crime scene investigator, etc.

In the SAMR model, this project could be a written report with each student’s role as a newscaster. The substitute for this would be using a voice recorder to record the students’ voices as they read out their written news reports. The Wevideo app serves as the augmentation for a voice recorder and a written assignment in which students could use text features as headlines while reading the news. Students can use added features like visuals and voice-over texts for the modification level. At the Remodification level, students can use transition features to transition between different students’ roles and locations as news reporters. Students could also insert videos or images of occurrences while talking over. Students can also work with as many collaborators as they want.

This entry was posted in EDTC300. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to What A Discovery!

1. Zachary Nenson says:

Hi Inemesit,

Great post! Any time I try and create video I always have no idea what I’m doing. I usually just end up using the video application that came with my laptop. Unfortunately, there are not many editing options when it comes to that.
    Wevideo seems pretty user friendly. Maybe I’ll try my luck and try it out myself. Thanks for giving me the break down.
    Good luck in the future.

Zach