Blog Post #1 – January 13, 2020

Blog Post #1 – January 13, 2020

I believe that people are made upon the stories they hear as a child. It shapes their perspectives and opinions very early on. This is along the same lines as what Thomas King describes in “The Truth About Stories”. Like most children when they are young, they are very easily influential. One of the stories I heard as a kid was a very juvenile one, that was not exactly true. With this being said, it still influenced me for my life. When I was younger, I always wanted to drink coffee. I saw the majority of adults in my life always drinking coffee. They were always conversating about how they needed coffee like it was the most essential thing in their life. From hearing all this about coffee I became obsessed with wanting to try coffee. I was always asking my parents and the adults around me if I could have some coffee. One day I was visiting with some close family friends. When I was there, I asked if I could have some coffee with them. One of the close family friends said to me “you know that if you drink coffee it will make you shorter? I will only give you some if you are ok with being even shorter.” Now I have always been a small person. The smallest in my class and still probably one of the shortest people you will meet. My whole family is short, but I definitely did not want to be any shorter than I already was so of course I just said that I changed my mind about the coffee. Ever since then I have not wanted to drink coffee. I became a tea drinker and that is what I prefer for hot beverages over anything else, including coffee. That one small story that I was told changed my opinion and dictated one small part of my life.