Blog Post #2 – January 20, 2020

Blog Post #2 – January 20, 2020

Since moving out of my hometown to Regina for university, I have realized a lot about what I consider to be home. Home for me is both a place and the people. I come from the small town of Kipling where everyone knows who you are and who your parents and grandparents are. We are a close-knit community. This is a place where you can see straight across all the land, which makes for beautiful sunsets and sunrises. The landscape is something I look forward to every time I go home. I know that I will get the opportunity to see these amazing pictures of the sky for miles to see. Things like the beauty of the stars and the sunsets and sunrises are often hidden by the bright lights in the city.  This landscape also holds my loved ones. These people are also my home. When I think about going home, they are the first people I see and think about. I believe that the people are what makes a place feel like home. The sensation you get when you are surrounded by your loved ones is the same feeling of homeyness that so many people crave. As Cynthia Chambers describes her feelings about the Native land in Lethbridge in “The Land Is the Best Teacher I Have Ever Had” I believe she is saying the same thing as me. Unlike me she did not like Lethbridge originally but the more she became in touch with her ancestors and their land the more she believed this place was her home. The people make a place feel like home.