Blog Post #5 – March 16, 2020

Blog Post #5 – March 16, 2020

I believe that I became aware of my gender through my dancing career. This seems to be a common reoccurrence for me because I spend most of my time dancing and it has seemed to open my eyes to many things in my life. One aspect of dance as a sport is that it has always been considered a women’s sport. To call it a sport while writing this a bit of a radical because many people do not consider dance to be a sport. I believe that this idea that dance is not a sport stems from beliefs of sports coming from a place of masculinity. As a pursuing dancer the goal was always to make the routine look easy and effortless which is a common binary for women is that they must appear dainty and light. To go along with this, if a boy is a dancer it is often rare or uncommon. These boy dancers are also often stereotyped as all being gay and therefore perceiving women like qualities onto them. This made me aware of my gender because it was a womanly expectation and a personality box that I had to fit into to be able to excel at this sport. On top of this, since this was considered a women’s sport it gets treated of a lesser value then the male sports. An example of this is the university dance team. I am a part of this team and it has really opened my eyes to gender roles. The dance team at the university is actually not considered a team at all. In the university’s eyes the dance program is a club. We gave ourselves the name team so our title reads “University of Regina Dance Team Club”. Our purpose or our job is to be entertainers at the football and basketball games. Any other competitions where we are not serving other dominantly male sports do not get funded from the university. Our competition for the national university dance competition was completely paid for with fundraising that we had to do. Our national competition got no recognition from the university as well. There was no good luck or well wishes, contrasting the football and basketball teams being hugely publicized. This goes along with chapter 7 in Sensoy and DiAngelo’s “Is Everyone Really Equal?”. On page 108 the chapter brings light to how media exposes male sports far more often then the women sports. This chapter mentions the huge broadcasting of the male football league and the lack of media representation for the women football league. In the chapter it also mentions how women are sexualized on the same page 108 in chapter 7. They bring up that the women’s football league used to be called the “Lingerie League”. This goes along with making women look dainty and vulnerable in contrast to males who appear strong and heroic. Much like the need for these women dancers to look a certain way. All these binaries and sexism appear without a second thought in our society. It is time to open our eyes to this issue.