Blog Post #6 – March 30, 2020

Blog Post #6 – March 30, 2020

I became aware that I am an able-bodied person through my sister Emily. Emily is my younger sister, there is a six-year difference between us. When Emily was three, I would have been nine. This was the time when she was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis. Before this time, I was never really aware of ableness vs. disableness because I did not have anyone close to me that was different than me with regards to ableness. One day Emily, my brother Patrick, and I were going outside to go play a game or go on a walk and when Emily stepped outside onto the deck, she twisted her ankle and started crying. At this age she was just getting used to walking so it was not really anything new when she fell over when trying to take small steps. After a while Emily stopped crying and continued to play with us. That night I remember my mom and dad being really concerned because her ankle was still swollen, and she was still telling them that it hurt. They decided to take Emily to the doctor and after a couple months and more testing then they expected she was diagnosed. For a lot of years after she got diagnosed it became worse. The arthritis travelled through her body into both knees and ankles, and up into her hands, fingers, and elbows. For a while she really struggled doing things like going on walks, playing outside, playing sports, and writing in school because her joints would swell with the arthritic fluid. Now she is much better and taking medication that is making her able to do sports and play by keeping the fluid level down. I promised myself when I was very young that I would not ever take advantage of my ableness to play and move. This understanding could help me for future teachings by developing lessons that are not always writing in a desk or can be adapted to what kind of activity the students can do. Having versatility with teaching methods is definitely a key to success.