Building A Band Of Instruments

Some Backstory

Throughout my nineteen years of experience, I have played many instruments. I took piano lessons from age four until I was sixteen. My piano teacher challenged me to accompany people who sing so I practiced a lot with Mom. I did band from grades five until nine playing trumpet, baritone, and percussion.

I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar as my uncles both play. I then looked into cheaper options as I know a guitar is expensive. I then saw a video on TikTok of a girl playing the ukulele. I then put on my Christmas list that I wanted one.

Since owning my ukulele I have learned a lot of nothing haha! When I have free time I tend to ignore the ukulele and watch videos on my phone. I made it a goal of mine in the new year to learn a song each month on the ukulele, but so far I have learned nothing.

The Plan

My plan is as follows. Every day after my classes I will spend at least thirty minutes playing the ukulele. There are many videos on YouTube about people teaching others how to play. I have heard a lot of good things about Andy Guitar, and have read the comments on some of his videos.

I also want to make a tracker where I can see how much time per day I spend learning. There are many apps to help learn how to play and I will test some of them out. I will mostly rely on Youtube videos as well and reading music as I know how to read sheet music so that is another thing I can use. I will also be trying out the app Yousician. I have never tried out this app I just found it when I was researching the best ways to learn an instrument online.

4 thoughts on “Building A Band Of Instruments”

1. Wow Jaida! It sounds like you come from a very musical family. I have to say I am a little jealous! My family is not very musical, however last year my brothers and I all decided that we wanted to get ukuleles so that we could learn to play together. At the time, one of my brothers was taking a ukulele class at school so he was able to show us some of the tips and tricks that he was learning. One thing that I found very helpful as a person that does not have an ear for music was an app from the Apple app store called Ukulele Tuner developed by TrueStudio. I would recommend checking it out because it is super easy to use and the best part is that it was free! Do you have any songs that you are hoping to learn how to play? Can’t wait to see where your learning project takes you?

1. Hey Karley,

I was hoping to learn the following songs:

-Can’t Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presly
      -Riptide by Vance Joy (A basic ukelele song)
      -You Are My Sunshine by Jimmie Davis (I want to play this for my grandma because she always sings it to me and my siblings to cheer us up)

These are the ones I know for sure. I am still looking for some more songs to learn and I’ve started to learn Can’t Help Falling In Love.