Koughang, a mystical traditional dance in Cameroon

I have been very busy this week not only with university stuff, but also with the preparation of our local cultural event. I am here for one more post about a typical traditional danse of the Cameroon West region called Koughang.

The Koughang is a typical dance of the West region of Cameroon, that is characterized by particular dance steps. Unlike other traditional dances, the Koughang is only danced at funerals in Cameroon. Apart from the fact that it is a dance, it is also an initiatory and symbolic ceremony whose particularity is purely mystical and magical. Therefore, people who dance it belong to a secret society.

1. Dressing and accessories

This outfit is composed of a long black dress, the mask on the head covering the whole face and the nape of the neck.

Image by Akim Pascal Noukimi

The mask is extended by ropes woven from human hair fibers or strands that extend over the whole body. On the cranial mask there are horns. The number of horns expresses the degree of power.

Generally, the musical instruments consist of two drums, one large and one small.

2. Interdictions du Koughang

I was told that during the dance, no one is allowed to look into the eyes of those who are drumming and singing Koughang for fear of going blind. Similarly, those who are dancing must not remove their mask, because no more should know who is in the Koughang.

3. The mystical aspect of the dance

During the koughang dance, the initiated drummers plant a banana tree in front of everyone. They make the banana tree grow and become mature (yellow color), then, they eat it. All this occurs within a few minutes.

In preparation for our cultural event, here  is a short video from our training where I was drumming the Koughang.

Thank you and see you next time with one more post.