Round One: Brownies

In the first blog post I made introducing my learning project, I explained that I would be trying out an AI tool to help me come up with recipes to attempt in the following weeks. The AI tool/ website is called DishGen, and all you need to do is type the name of a specific dish you desire into the search engine (or a group of ingredients), and the website will give you a specially-made recipe to try out.

DishGen Homepage https://www.dishgen.com/

As it turns out, DishGen has a ‘Demo Quota’ as to how many times you can use the search engine without being a member. To use this website more than once, a free account needs to be created to collect what is called search credits, and to save the recipes that are generated with the tool. I would still like to explore the world of baking with my learning project, but I am deciding if I want to find a different website with an AI-operated search engine, or use a variety of different sources.

This week and for this blog post, I used a recipe for brownies that I came across in 2020 during quarantine. It turned out quite well, and I am very happy with the results! (My family seemed to like it, too… all brownie remains vanished within the last 24 hours, haha! I will include the recipe in this blog post for anyone who would like to give it a try. Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:

1. ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  2. 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
  3. ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
  4. ⅔ cocoa powder, sifted
  5. ½ cup chocolate chips (or measure as your heart desires)
  6. 2 large eggs
  7. ½ cup canola or olive oil
  8. ¾ teaspoon salt
  9. 2 tablespoons water (can vary based on desired consistency) 
  10. ½ teaspoon vanilla (or measure as your heart desires)

Instructions:

Step one) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees (fahrenheit) and lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or margarine, as well as lining the dish with parchment paper. 

Step two) In a medium sized bowl, combine your dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flour, salt, sugars, and chocolate chips).

Step three) In a large sized bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (olive or canola oil, water, vanilla, and eggs).

Step four) Gradually transfer the dry mix into the large bowl with the wet ingredients while continuously mixing until combined.

Step five) Pour the mixture into your 8×8 pan and smooth out the top with a spatula or spoon. Bake for forty five minutes and let stand until cooled.

***Optional: Sprinkle a handful of extra chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking if you so choose. 

Note: These brownies pair well with a scoop of ice cream (brownie warmed in the microwave).

DISCLAIMER: This recipe was previously used for a How-To article assignment last semester, and can be found on file for ENGL 251. I’ve repurposed the recipe for this week’s blog post. It is original to my own knowledge. 

We didn’t have regular chocolate chips at the house, so I improvised and used Reese’s peanut butter chips. Usually I’m pretty particular when it comes to following directions… I had wanted to find semi-sweet chocolate chips as per the recipe’s instructions– but the peanut butter chips actually worked pretty well. It wasn’t your regular brownie, but it had a funny quirk! With ice cream it tasted almost identical to Dairy Queen’s Cupfection Treats!

Yes, the brownie batter was covered in sprinkles before I popped it in the oven. It had character, haha.

I’m excited to find something new for next week! Stay tuned!

The only photo I managed to save- before it was put into the oven.

3 thoughts to “Round One: Brownies”

1. Hi Jelisa! Using an AI tool to find recipes sounds like an amazing idea!! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us! The instructions are easy to follow so it makes me want to give it a try! I’m not surprised all brownie bites were gone within 24 hours haha. It’s so hard to resist the smell of freshly bakes brownies in the kitchen. I look forward to your next cooking adventure!!

2. Hey Jelisa! Grrrrreeeat, now I want brownies, HAHA. I love your learning project; what a unique way to use AI in your home. I can’t wait to see what other recipes you test out.

3. Hey Jelisa,

The brownies look amazing! I have always been into baking and have never thought to use or check out AI tools but that is definitely a great idea. Im excited to following along and see all the recipes you try out!