My digital footprint

The idea of a digital footprint is something that people have been trying to tell me about for years. I was a child that grew up right in the middle of this digital world. I have had a Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook account since I was eleven. My life has been all about social media since I got my first iPod touch. I still remember how excited I was when I got my first Snapchat account. 

My digital footprint is something that I have been creating for almost ten years now. I will say, what my digital footprint looked like has not been something I was aware of for all those years. People like my parents and teachers did tell me about how the internet is forever and that anyone can see what I post, but the idea of forever didn’t seem real to me. I have always been a pretty smart poster, but I was still a child who thought she was unbreakable. I never had any of those scary stories happen to me, and I am so thankful. 

Nicole Lee’s “Having multiple online identities is more normal than you think” is exactly how I use my social media accounts. I have a Snapchat account where my life “ is raw and more visceral”(Lee, 2016). My “Instagram is for friends and people who know me through the internet.”(Lee,2016). Lately, I have been feeling as if my Instagram is too public. I have made my account private within the last couple of years, but I was always concerned about my numbers of followers so I allowed everyone to follow me. This created my followers and account to become more of a popularity contest. Then VSCO became more popular and that became my account where I posted what I wanted. My VSCO is where you see who I really am and what I really love. My “Facebook is for keeping in touch with family and friends”(Lee,2016). This is where I post my wholesome picture that I want my grandparents, aunts, and uncles to see. I get to see all my baby cousins grow up, I see all of the reposts my grandma makes about politics. All of my different types of social media accounts are “indicative of how multifaceted human beings are.” (Lee,2016).

One thought on “My digital footprint

1. I was very fortunate that my mom was very strict with me and never let me have any social media accounts until I was in my late teens. At the time it really bothered me and I was always upset with her but looking back at it and how my friends were that had social media at the same age you did. I really didn’t miss out. they were starting to show signs of insecurity and getting bullied online and did some things they regretted online as well. They had built a digital footprint around the same age you did. I can honestly say now I have thanked my mom for holding me back from having those platforms at such a young age and letting me just be a teenager in a time where the world is going upside down.