Math Lesson (Pre-Internship)

Lesson Description:

The grade 5/6 class is learning about subtracting and adding decimals. This lesson is to enhance their ability on their newly acquired skills. Students will also enhance and challenge their ability to communicate and to decide. Students will be in randomized groups and given different roles within their groups. The student’s task is to fulfill those roles while making sure the task given is being done.

What went well:

• The students were very into their roles (speaker, recorder, inquirer).
  • Students seemed to understand the task as they all went ahead on their VNPs and started working.
  • During sharing time, students shared their group’s thoughts and calculations with the whole class.
  • Students were listening during the subtracting decimals demonstration on the board. Students raise their hands and get themselves involved with the lesson.

What could be improved:

• I could have explained further what each role entails since some students were a bit confused.
  • Strategies to improvise when one group does not want to share and/or does not know how to explain their thoughts.
  • I could have spent more time in each group to talk about their work before moving on to the next group.
  • Time management: I did not get the time to do the exit slips.

PDF version of the lesson below:

Subtracting decimals and whole numbers Lesson