Imagine all the People… Who Could Learn ASL

June 7, 2021 0 By Julie F.

This week…woah. What a doozy. On top of all the work of the fast paced Spring semester I decided to take on one of the heaviest ASL sessions. Learning 29 different signs associated with people.

Baby Reaction GIF
http://gph.is/28KhRI7

I originally thought I would have a week, maybe a week and a half to learn all of these signs. However, work got away from me and I found myself falling behind. Instead succumbing to falling behind I decided to push forward and go ahead with my intended learning. This just meant I had to work that much harder to learn these signs.

For this learning I followed along with Sign Language 101 – People, the Body & Clothes. I did not learn body or clothes just people for this week. I chose to follow along with this YouTube video because I like that it had many important signs I wanted to learn this week all in one place. I do however really like learning from Tiktok so I hope I can use it for my next weeks learning!

Anyways… to the Learning

I chose to learn sign associated with people because I am hoping to learn as much as I can when it comes to using sign language in the classroom. I thought learning these would be very beneficial when it comes to addressing students, their families, our friends and even our neighbours. These signs were a little more complex than I was used too, but I kind of got the hang of it realizing that masculine signs were usually signed from the forehead and feminine signs was usually signed from the chin. So I decided to break down these 29 words. I broke them into family and other. I learned the family words first by learning all of the feminine words such as: mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, wife, aunt and niece. Then I learned the masculine words such as: father, grandfather, brother, son, husband, uncle, nephew, cousin, parents and family.

The other category I learned person, people, boy, girl, man, woman, child, children, baby, adult, neighbour and friend.

Breaking the words into two groups and then again into masculine and feminine made it so much easier! I highly recommend

It took me about a week of pretty constant practicing to be able to make the video for this week and even now as I write this I can’t recall a couple of the signs. This week really made me appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into learning a new language!

Please Enjoy my Learning Below

Please Enjoy!

As per Gabrielle and Brandy’s request I will be learning pronouns next! So stay tuned for that!

Thanks for reading/watching and if anyone has any more ideas of what I should add to my learning project feel free to leave your ideas/suggestions in the comments!