Level Two: Goodbye Stuffies!

Alright, I know my learning project is technically for crocheting amirigumi, BUT, I love clothes and I like buying clothes, and lately I’ve seen a lot of clothing and thought… I can make that!

So I’ve been working on a little short sleeved sweater thing, and it’s going pretty well, I think!

I bought some fancy yarn from Yarn Over,  my new favourite place to loiter.  The colour is Afternoon Tea by Midnight Cravings yarn.

It comes wrapped, but not in a tidy ball, and I’m still learning the art of winding yarn (Watch the tutorial I used here).  My 4 year old took this video of me trying to untangle the yarn!

I’m using a pattern by TCDDIY, a creator on Youtube who also sells patterns on Etsy.  I ended up purchasing the pattern, but have mostly been relying on the video for learning how to make this shirt!

This pattern uses something called a Sedge stitch, which is three stitches in one – a single crochet, half double, and double.  I love the way it looks!  My partner says it looks like chain mail so obviously super powerful and strong 😀

I’ve made mine a bit longer so I can wear it to work, and the colour is darker.  Here are some closer looks at the sedge stitch:

I have unraveled and redone many sections of this so far.  It’s a brand new skill to crochet in a chain instead of a circle!  I am amazed that I can now tell the difference between the stitches and what they look like.  I can tell where my single crochet stitches are and what my chain stitches look like.  It’s neat to be able to recognize these things now.

So far I have finished the front and back panels, it fits pretty well!  I have to do the waistband, the sleeves and the collar next!

2 thoughts on “Level Two: Goodbye Stuffies!”

1. Hey Kelsey!
    It’s so interesting to see how you transform a tangled yarn into a beautiful piece of clothing. You’ve done an amazing job learning these crocheting skills. I lack this skill, but my daughter is so skilled in this. Well done! Kelsey.

Inemesit

2. Kelsey,

I am absolutely loving your crochet adventure! Who says learning projects have to stick to just one thing, right? Your short-sleeved sweater sounds like the perfect blend of creativity and style. The Sedge stitch looks AMAZING, and I’m totally with your partner – it does look like some serious chain mail power haha 💪! You’ve already conquered the front and back panels – major progress! Can’t wait to see the finished masterpiece with the waistband, sleeves, and collar. Keep those updates coming. I’m cheering you on from the crochet sidelines!

Emma